Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:02 PM   #1

My sister recently dropped and broke my Gateway DC-T50 camera.* I loved that digital camera.* It suited my needs perfectly, with 5.1 MP, movie mode, several scene modes, SD picture card, great zoom features. in my opinion it had everything and took great pictures.* I am now in the process of looking for a camera to replace this one. I have been searching for a while now, and really I am stuck as to what camera will suit my needs.**I am a college student, so I don't need anything TOO fancy.* I am mainly taking pictures of friends, nature, kids, things like that.* I am a photo fanatic, and I pretty much take my camera everywhere and take photos of everything.* I am by no means a skilled photgrapher although I have taken some photo classes and I am able to use manual features with some skill.* I would like to stick with the SD memory card since I have already invested in those, although it doesn't really matter.* I would like a rechargeable battery, it seems much more convinient and easier to use.* Also, i love cameras that offer various shooting modes for night, action, people, snow, etc.* and I want to have a movie w/sound mode.* I am looking and hoping to spend around $250 and at the most $300 for the camera.*I am open to suggestions about any camera that seems to fit my needs, but I have currently been considering the Olympus Stylus600, Casio EX-Z120, and Canon PowerShot SD500.Thanks!***Oops, sorryk didn't mean to post this twice, don't know how that happend
SarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:44 PM   #2

I currently have the Stylus 600.......... Dont even consider this camera. While its weather-proof, has large 2.5" LCD, lots of scene modes and such. Its image quality is not quite impressive enough for its price.

I would consider the Casio EX-Z120, Canon PowerShot A610 and the SD models.
Fujifilm F10 and Kodaks V550 also seem nice.

I'm currently try to decide between the Casio EX-Z120 and the Powershot A610 to replace this mistake I made in purchasing the Stylus 600.
twendane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice.* I'm really considering the canon now.* My dad however would like me to get an Olympus, and he's doesn't really think that Casio is a good camera company.* Any opinions on this?* More help would be greatly appreciated
SarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:43 PM   #4

I just bought a Casio EX-z110 and if the z120 is anything like it, we'd be talking very hard to beat. Super fast startup, negligible shutter lag, manual controls including focus, and a GREAT movie mode. It's AVI, but clear & true. I had another camera that had trouble with straight lines in movie (MPEG4) mode at 640x480 30 fps. It used 1/3 the memory of my Casio, but couldn't hold a candle to it re. video quality. It also has an all metal body & a separate compartment for the SD card. I picked it up at Costco for $209 CDN ... no other camera I've seen can compete with it re. features vs. price. ...Willy.
sneakyweasel is offline   Reply With Quote