Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:16 PM   #11

Maybe you can find a better one, toshi...I can't.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:29 PM   #12

Try this -

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...094760p,00.htm

It's even in English!
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Try this -

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...094760p,00.htm

It's even in English!
Many thanks from the language challenged. One thing I noticed is the 13 second cycle time for raw. My old D7i cycles raw shots in around 11 seconds and that inhibits using raw an any but static situations. I like raw, but was missing so many shots I switched to best quality JPG for most shots. The FZ30 cycles raw in a tad under 4 seconds because of the Venus engine. That is a lot more useable. Not great but useable. It is faster than most cameras with buffers, and you can shoot at that speed indefinitely because they aren't buffered.

Another nice thing about the Venus engine is that you can shoot a five shot 3fps burst and shoot another burst 2 seconds later – and do that indefinitely.

Quote:
Maybe lack of good wide angle makes it easier.
I would imagine it does. But Nikon makes good optics and the Z30 has better resolution than the Nikon 8700, which doesn't have a wide angle. My point was that the noise isn't degrading the image – not that it was superior. Those technical details don't translate to real world image superiority in most images. And other factors are more important than pure resolution numbers.

I think another factor might be a lesser in-camera noise reduction. Noise reduction degrades resolution a little. Those resolutions are all taken at best quality JPG as deduced from this quote under the chart I posted:
"The FZ30 sets new standards for resolution in this class of camera, with clean, moiré-free results that pretty much go off the end of the chart. And the best news is you can eek even more resolution out of the lens/sensor combination by shooting RAW (as long as you've got a copy of Photoshop or Elements and the latest ACR plug-in)"

Quote:
You mean zoom range without good wideangle.

And tell that to Olympus, apparently they haven't heard your opinion because they have made so many ultrazooms without IS, which have apparently sold well because they have now made one more without it.
Everything seems to be a compromise. A long stabilized zoom has its place. I just went outside and aimed my FZ10 at targets in the shade – places where interesting birds and critters like to sit. I was generating 1/25 second at 420mm eq and f2.8. I can usually get those shots if I work on my hold and use the 3fps burst to try to hit a moment of null movement with type 2 stabilization. I doubt I could get those shots even with the FZ30, which is almost a full stop slower. Not a chance in the world I could get them with an Oly at 10 X and f3.7 without a tripod – and I don't like carrying tripods around. If I want a bag full of junk I'll get a far superior DSLR. I did that for years with a film SLR and like the freedom of a versatile prosumer camera.

Most of the situations I carry the FZ10 for I don't miss wide angle. If I need one I put the camera on slow burst and pan left to right with the wide view vertical. I use manual if I have time, but the slow burst fixes all of the shooting parameters to the first shot. Panasonic doesn't believe in panorama mode for whatever reason. It works for probably 90% of situations and gives a 4:3 of about 27mm eq with almost 7Mp. Water with waves is a problem because the waves don't line up in the stitch. Dynamic situations can put the same person in different parts of the picture. It even works for flash shots of groups if you tell everyone to hold still for 3 shots. I would prefer a real wide angle, but like I said – everything is a compromise.

Quote:
Also they mentioned Samsung's big LCD is usefull for older people with worser sight.
I find that to be a factor in a small camera without an EVF. But I think most people learn to do most of their settings in the EVF if they have one. I have two cameras with EVFs and the only thing I use the LCD for is showing people pictures or the occasional odd angle shot. I would probably use an articulated LCD like the one on the A200 more often if I had one. A big LCD is nice though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:34 PM   #14

Review is up at DPreview. Noise is much worse than Panasonic FZ30 because of weak in camera noise filter. Has big buffer, but really slow write times. Slower lens than Panasonic. More expensive than the Panasonic. Smaller but heavier than Panasonic, and, most of all, no IS. Only two things looked attractive to me. Huge screen, huge battery. Doesn't look like a winner to me. Be interested to see Steve's take on it.
Bezmongol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:54 PM   #15

Hold the Pro 815 by its shaft and you can use it as a tool to club fellow photographers vying for that prime shooting position.

What a useful feature - perfect for a Hun!

Thanks toshi!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote