Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:57 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a new camera and was looking at the Samsung Pro 815 but there don't appear to be any reviews for it any where!! I've seen on many places that it doesn't have IS which does put me off it a bit but I want to read a review of how it actually performs.

The other camera I am looking at is the Panasonic FZ30 but also have read problems with noise. Just not sure which one to go for without reading a review of the Samsung. Ay help and advice would be muchly appreciated!
Paul_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2

The professional reviews of the FZ30 that I've seen have been very positive, and noise hasn't been mentioned prominently as an issue. Of course, the "pros" understand the limitations of the smaller sensor in the prosumer cams and don't compare them to DSLR's. In my opinion, the Pro 815 is going to be a big bust. I like the idea of the wide zoom range; however, after owning an FZ10 with image stabilization, I won't go anywhere near an ultrazoom that doesn't have that feature.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:22 PM   #3

Guess you didn't read these:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...Conclusion.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...z30/page17.asp

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Looks pretty noisy to me...

The 815 looks awesome on paper:

http://www.dcviews.com/press/Samsung-Digimax-PRO815.htm

15x zoom (28-420mm), 3.5" LCD, 2/3" sensor, 8 MP, ISO 800...I wonder if they've figured out how to make a camera. I'd wait for more than just a few reviews before I'd jump on this one.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 5:33 PM   #4

Cheers but it's reviews for the Samsung that I want!
Paul_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:50 PM   #5

Here ya go...

http://www.digitalkamera.de/Info/News/30/47.htm

the Hun

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:14 PM   #6

With f4.6 at 420mm eq I agree you would want stabilization. The wide f2.2 is pretty impressive – especially with a 2/3 sensor. Noise should be a little better than the FZ30, but you would probably find yourself shooting at higher ISO without stabilization.

Samsung did a great job on the V700 except for shutter lag. They put real controls and a viewfinder with an excellent lens. Samsung might become a player.

I would have much preferred the Sony 7Mp sensor of the same size on the FZ30. But noise is relative. If you want a 16 X 20 for you wall there is always noise reduction software. The demo version of Neat Image is considered freeware and works well. For full screen viewing or normal prints I don't think you will see much noise. If you are one of those who view the image at 100% where you have to scroll around to see the entire image you will find noise if you are looking for it. I don't consider noise that big a deal until it starts degrading the image. The FZ30 image certainly isn't degraded. When you turn in better resolution numbers than other good 8Mp prosumer cameras like the Canon Pro 1, Sony 828, KM A200 and Nikon 8700 it is fair to say the image isn't being compromised.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:24 AM   #7

rinniethehun wrote:

Hun - that might be helpful ifwe could all read German. The pictures are nice, though.

I had a look at a Pro815, and one thing's for sure -it's a MONSTER. This thing's by far the biggest non-DSLR I've ever seen. And a 15X lens withno usable high ISO valuesand no IS?? Who are they kidding??

Beats me who Samsung's trying to sell this camera to. It's too big, heavy and expensive to appeal to ordinary photographers and it's no alternative to a DSLR, so people who buy those won't even look sideways ata Pro815.

Like the new Sony R1, the Pro815 leaves me puzzled.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:43 AM   #8
E.T

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The FZ30 image certainly isn't degraded.Â* When you turn in better resolution numbers than other good 8Mp prosumer cameras like the Canon Pro 1, Sony 828, KM A200...
Maybe lack of good wide angle makes it easier.

One Finnish technology magazine has test of both FZ30 and 815 in newest number and they concluded that both lenses are very sharp considering zoom lengths.
From noise they say that in FZ30 it shows at ISO100 and is strong at ISO400. Samsung has less noise but it's clearly visible at ISO400.
Also they mentioned Samsung's big LCD is usefull for older people with worser sight.

lucky2505 wrote:
Quote:
like the idea of the wide zoom range; however, after owning an FZ10 with image stabilization, I won't go anywhere near an ultrazoom that doesn't have that feature.
You mean zoom range without good wideangle.

And tell that to Olympus, apparently they haven't heard your opinion because they have made so many ultrazooms without IS, which have apparently sold well because they have now made one more without it.

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
it's a MONSTER. This thing's by far the biggest non-DSLR I've ever seen. And a 15X lens withÂ*no usable high ISO valuesÂ*and no IS?? Who are they kidding??
Same people like those who are pushing DSLRs to those who just want more versatility and controls what Point&Prays offer.

And actually Panasonic is bigger (141x86x138mm vs. 136x87x79mm) but in weight it wins (740g vs 920g), on the other hand Samsung's weight surely attenuates fastest shake.

And wasn't long time ago when some more serious hobbyers didn't touch films over ISO200 because of graininess...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
-George Bernard Shaw
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:04 PM   #9

How's this - any better?

http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/productos/cam1362g.asp

the Hun

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:11 PM   #10

Hun - Oh, yeah, that's MUCH better! Now how about one in Swahili?
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote