Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 1:22 PM   #1

Hello!
I am trying to find a new digital camera (now I own a 1MP Olympus Camedia...) and of course I join the club: confusion! I read many threads here about cameras I am also thinking of like the Lumix FZ20 or the Kodak P850 or the Canon I2 IS.

But I fell in love with the idea of buying the 8700 because

-what makes it possible: it is on discount now and the same price like the others
-the bulb function
-8MP
-it seems to be packed with features so I could really learn about photography and I love features on all my electronic devices :?

I don´t really print pictures I work with them on the PC like for collages and graphic design.

The fact that there is no IS and that reviewers opinions are so different from each other (love or hate?) makes me very much unsure what to do!
Do you think anything I like about the 8700 outweights IS?

I would be happy about every thought you want to share!!

pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:27 AM   #2

:O Should I maybe move to the Nikon forum with this?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:49 AM   #3

Hi,

I have had the 8700 for about a 18 months and I love this camera. The reviews are mixed but I think that happens a lot. No one camera can be all things to all people. Of course, the camera has it's limitations but it has great strengths too.

What I love about it: it takes superb photographs, it's got more features than I know what to do with, but remains fairly easy to get started with. There's lots of room to grow with this camera. It's lightweight yet feels solid and comfortable to carry and handle. It is a bit slow, but that hasn't held me back except when trying to capture birds in flight for instance.

There is very little not to like about it. And...the price is right! Most importantly though, I repeat...the quality of photographs is great.

Good luck!
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:03 AM   #4

I am happy for Sherry that everything has worked out well for her with the Nikon 8700. However, as someone who teaches digital cameras to over 10,000 people every year, I would like to share with you theat I hear constantly from students that while the 8700 takes great photos, it is indeed a complicated camera, that disappoints many users.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:05 AM   #5

Thank you both!

Sherry your words moved this nikon on my list up again! Maybe the IS feature is not so important anyway...I know that picture quality comes first for me.

And for nightshots and bulb, shouldn´t I use a tripod anyway, also with a stabilized model?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"MT, does complicated mean frustrating to learn but later I can handle it well or is constantly frustrating because its design is just bad? I think what I read in the reviews means I just have to spend much time in the beginning to get used to it.

I am so excited about getting a decent camera, I should make a decision! :lol:
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:31 AM   #6

Most users find the Nikon 8700 menu layout and structure hard to deal with and many give up in frustration.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:17 PM   #7

When I bought my camera about a year ago I was deciding between the Nikon 8700 and the Panasonic FZ20. I chose the Panasonic, but that does not mean that I did not think the Nikon was a good camera. Still, I wonder if you might not want to consider a newer model, the 8800 or something?

Also, the IS is important if you are going to use your full range of zoom effectively. When using long zooms one typically needs to have the shutter open for a relatively long time in order to get enough light on the subject. IS makes a huge difference between getting soft photos or nice sharp ones. If you're looking at an ultra-zoom some sort of IS (different companies use different terms and sometimes differently technologies to do the same thing) is indispensable. And IS helps a lot if you take lots of handheld photos.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:34 PM   #8

hmmm ... the 8800 is simply too expensive. I now came so far to at least know that I don´t want to miss the features and 8MP of a camera like the 8700... Maybe I have to wait a bit longer. :roll: