Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

I'm not in a hurry to buy. I own a Oly 3040 and still like it, but every once in a while I fish around to see if there is something I'd like better.

I love the f1.8 lens on this camera and I'm not sure if there is another camera out there that could compare with that, even with a higher ISO. I don't want to go much larger in camera size.

It would be nice to have something a little faster than the 3.5 fps in rapid shooting; and better mini movie quality so it would show on a TV ok (not a huge requirement).

Higher MP would be nice if I can get similar pictures in low light.

I may need two different cameras, so I'll explain what I would use it for.

-Situation 1 - I like to go horse back riding, so something that takes good outdoor shots and good actions shots (I'm taking most of the pictures from the horse, so I'm not too stable with the hands).

-I like taking landscape shots, and would like a camera that gives a little more depth to the picture than my Oly (still on the horse).

-Small and durable is good since I am on the horse and need to 'pack' the camera away when off and running and be able to take camera out in a flash.

-Situation 2 - Family gatherings inside, lower light. Even my 3040 will blur a picture if the people are moving too fast. Flash works ok on the 3040, but it's hard to find a good balance and the colors don't always come out right. I'm not very good at picture taking; but I am getting the hang of fstop and ISO from reading here (thanks). I find many of my inside shots a little yellowish.

-Situation 3- inside a large pole building, ok light for people. I do team penning with my horses (basically chasing cows on horse back). It would be nice to find a camera that could take good action shots in lower light conditions. Good rapid shooting would help with this. Something not too complicated, since I would have to find some bystander to take the shots. This camera could be bigger if need be. A small DSLR would be acceptable, entry level type.

So far I have liked the sound of the Canon G6 and Rebel XT; the Fuji F10 (not sure of the E900 or S5200 - the S5200 may be on the large side for me) Also the Pentax istDs.

Once the mad holiday season is over I'll head to a camera store and look at the cameras in person, but would love to hear what people have to say about these cameras and if anything else is out there I have overlooked.

Thanks Much,

Maggie
Humvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:03 PM   #2

Sounds like the F10 is your best bet, considering your need for low light performance and speed. If the S5200 is too big for you, the DSLR's are even worse...both the Rebel XT and ist DS weigh more than the S5200 - without a lens... and with even a modest zoom lens inserted, they will both be considerably larger.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 9:09 PM   #3

Second the F10 recommendation. A great, fast low-light camera. I use it on ISO 800 all the time.The surprisingly littlenoise looks like filmgrain.
Sukhumvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4

Dollar-wise for low light level photography, the F-10 is the clear winner.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5

MT
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:19 AM   #6

MT