Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:01 AM   #1

Hello board, i am a new member, and by looking through the board it seems like there is plenty of good advice going around.

I am looking to purchase a digital camera very soon.

Initially I had my heart set on a Kodak v550, liking its smart styling, big LCD screen, and small size, but looking around, it seems i can get more for my money as in regards quality of image if i shop around.

Looking around various website reviews, I have created a shortlist of cameras that seem to be very popular, they seem to be:

Sony W7
Sony p200
Nikon coolpix 7900
fujifilm f10

Ideally I would like a camera that is easy to use, be able to take a good photo in the dark as well as great day time shots(inside and out), as I like to take it to bars and clubs. If taking it out with me for a night out, it needs to be not too big.

A friend of mine has the sony W5 (the lil brother of the w7) and it produces some great shots....and i can now get the W7 for what he paid originally for his W5.

Or is the Kodak v550 very good too? Judging by the shots ive seen taken with it, they come out good, but not as good as the above list.

I would be very interested in your views on the above list, all feedback would be welcome.

The F10 looks like its edging the lead as in performance, i think its probably my personal view of the camera not looking as aesthetically pleasing as the others that is putting me off it, which should not be a reason to discount it.

I need to make a decision soon, as the girlfriend (who's buying me one for xmas) is driving me mad!

PS. i would like to take shots when im out in night clubs, and ive heard the fuji f10 offers unparalelled low light shooting.

Has anyone got experience in shooting in clubs/concerts with these cameras?

Thanks!
mcnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:08 AM   #2

I have the Fuji F10, but have not used the others so cannot speak to them. We really enjoy the camera, it is very fast from startup to shooting is ~ 1.5 seconds and shot to shot and shutter lag times are also very good. It is a bit square, not much to look at but then I'm not using it to pick up chicks. The lcd is huge and bright but there is no optical viewfinder. We had owned it almost a month when I asked my wife if she missed that- she hadn't even noticed it wasn't there. I have not had any issuesusing the viewfinder in bright light (I even tried several times to find a cricumstance where I couldn't see it and unless you're in direct sunlight and turn the camera at a rediculous angle it is clearly visible though the colors are washed) The flash range is better than any point and shoot I've used, probably due to the high ISO settings and you can take shots with no flash in quite low light. Expert users here tell me it is short on advanced options but I bought it as a p&s for the whole family. If you press the power button then about one and a half seconds later hit the shutter release you're very likely to get a great photo. It is very simple to use and fits in my pocket nicely. If it wasn't a $400 camera, I'd buy 3 more so the kids & wifecould each have their own, but at 5 & 7 I think they'll have to wait. They do not have any problem using it though, a testament to it's simplicity. It has taken several heart stopping falls and still performs perfectly (metal shell is great!) The 6.3mp resolution is awesome, it really is. You can take wide angle shots and crop them later making sure you get the shot you want while holding the camera up over your head.

Now the bad, it has a proprietary battery. The life is outstanding, I don't doubt it would take 500 shots per charge but if it dies at Disneyworld, you're SOL- nobody can sell you one. We have never experienced a dead battery but it does bother me that I can't just go to any drugstore and repower if I need to.XD media prices have remained steady while SD prices have fallen sharply. You'll probably pay around double for any size XD card vs. SD.

The camera is amazing. There are some here who may tell you that the lens isn't as great as the one that Michaelangelo himselfcrafted for thier camera, perhaps this is so. It lacks a couple of advanced controls that I'd never know I had, sure. It is extremely responsive, easy to use and makes 4x6 prints as nice as any other camera. The bottom line is that if it died today, I'd run out and buy another.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:19 AM   #3

Thank you mecury, a great response.

It does look like i am favouring this model now... i need to find out befor eFriday or the girlfriend said she'll get one that she picks out! :yawn:
mcnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:04 PM   #4

Remember that with any of these you'd be much better off taking wide angle shots and cropping them down later. The zoom takes a huge amount of light from the image and the large mp sensors allow for this while still producing great quality prints.

Too bad nobody with one of the other choices you've mentioned hasn't posted, but I doubt you'll be disappointed with the Fuji F10. I'd still go down to the store and try them in your hands, there is no better way to choose (at least after you've read the papers on them all) IMO. Even better if you can get to your local camera shop, theywill know more than the commission paid cabbages that populate most electronics stores.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote