Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

Hi - I'm new and need some help. I'm on my third camera, learning as i go along.

I'm lookng for a compact or ultra with manual focus and apeture and prefereably a macro mode.

I need something for details of objects such as jewelry and clothing labels. I also want something for all around picts that i can travel comfortably with.

I tried one of the olympus stylus models (can't remember which one)liked it but had trouble with blurry picts even with a tripod. Next i tried the kodak v550 and like it except that i later realized i needed the manual controls.

I now have the Canon A610 which i choose specifically for the macro mode which is 1cm. however, I don't like it at all - it is too bulky for travel, and i don't find it very user friendly. The olympus and the kodak were a breeze to use even without the user manual.

Any suggestions? Can i compensate for the macro mode on a camera with say 10 cm instead of 1cm by going with more digital zoom or am i way off here?

Please help.....thank you in advance.

Miche

gofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:00 PM   #2

Digital zoom isn't a substitute for optical, and that applies to macro. If you crop to the equivalent of 2X you take a 7Mp camera to 1.75Mp. That Mp might be enough for posting jewelry and clothing labels online, but still takes you to only 5cm. By the time you get down to 1cm or so with cropping you will be in the keychain or cellphone camera range for MP – and that is unfair to some cellphones.

I'm guessing you are referring to the Casio Z750. It is perfect for your requirements except for the macro, which isn't sufficient IMO. I have one and love it, but I don't have much use for true macro work.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply - yes i am next considering the casio except for the macro mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:52 PM   #4

My best advice would be to spend some time in the A610 manual and take a lot of pictures. There isn't anything smaller I know of with a really good macro and manual controls.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:33 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice - I'm planning a trip next month and the thought of carrying around the canon is disturbing. I think i'll try the casio and hope that something new may be out soon. Maybe???

thanks again