Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

Im after my first ever digital cameraI can take with me to capture some nice photos at the wrestling events I go to. I'm no pro so the shots will be just for my own collection. Most wrestling events are quite dark soI will need a camera thats good in low light and has a good zoom. I'm looking to spend under £200 I've found two nice cameras that have taken my eye upto now and would really like some advice and if anyone could tell me where to buy them for the cheapest price ythat would be greatly apreciated too.

The cameras are:

Kodak Z700 - Found on Amazon for about £130 looks a nice camera with a good zoom but i dont know much more than that.

Cannon Powershot A610 - Seems to do everything but is quite expensive and is it too advanced for a beginner/amateur.

Any help, recomendations and pointers all very welcome. Thanks

Just found this on Amazon too Kodak Z740 Zoom Digital Camera [5MP , 10 x Optical] 1.8" LCD£159.91 seems a good camera and 10X optical zoom is the best ive seen.

Kieran 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 2:42 PM   #2

I know this is my first ever post but please any help is very welcome.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:32 PM   #3

A good ultra zoom with decent low light pictures is the Fuji FinePix S5200/S5600 (the latter is the designation in Europe).

5 megapixels, 10X optical zoom. No image stabilization, though.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

To prove what a amateur i am whats a image stabaliser?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:24 PM   #5

Image stabilization is a design feature that minimizes blurriness due to the movements of your hand, very important when using slow shutter speeds or zooming in fully. This is not to be confused with high ISO, which makes the 'film' more sensetive to light so that you can get faster shutter speeds in the same lighting conditions.

The S5200 has to be the cheapest camera on the market what will come anywhere close to what you need in that pricerange. To shoot sports indoors, you need high ISO and a fast lens (one that lets in a lot of light). There is no other relatively inexpensive camera that I know of that has high ISO.

If there's any possible way you could save up some money, you really should have a digital SLR (single lens reflex). They have bigger light sensors that small digicams, so they can take in much more light and do it in a much cleaner way. Noise (grainy distortion in your image) is a problem at high ISO with small digicams. You can get an entry level DSLR like an Olympus Evolt E-300 or a Nikon D-50 with a lens for under $700.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:12 PM   #6

Thanks very much for the help. The Fuji FinePix S5200 looks a very nice camera the only thing is my family bought a Fuji before and you couldnt get a non blurred shot from it to save your life and it also went through bateries like it was lunch.

Any way as I say I'm just looking for a nice camera to produce some nice shots when i go watch wrestling not looking for anything too pro. Would you definately recomend the Fuji FinePix S5200 over the Canon Powershot A610 or the two other Kodak's I mentioned in previous post's? I'm a complete novice so all your help is very welcome.

Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:45 PM   #7

The Fuji F10 is the ONLY camera in your price range that has the low-light capability that you need.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8

The reason I recommended the S5200 is becuase it has the long zoom that you might need for shooting sports, but yes, it is a bit out of your pricerange ($340). The Fuji F10 would be a goodf choice if you don't need the ultra zoom. And yes, I'd take the F10 over the other cameras you talked about because you will very likely need the high sensitivity (ISO 1600) to overcome the relatively dim lighting and I've assumed you will be out of flash range. If you plan on being able to sit within 15 feet or so and are permitted to take flash photos, they there are many many cameras out there that will suit your needs.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 5:48 PM   #9

Thanks so much guys for all the help now I know which two cameras too look out for i just need to hunt down the cheapest price for them. Hopefully I will be able to post some nice shots I get from the camera on this forums in the future.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:25 AM   #10

Best of luck!