Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:06 PM   #1

I'm thinking about getting the EXZ750 but the more I think about it the more the lens error concerns me. What do you think is the best alternative model in the same class? What is yourrecommendation in the larger models?

Rod M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:48 PM   #2

Yes, I was also VERY close to buying that one but settled on a SD500 just alot better quality when comparing them while they are in your hand. Also heard the other is sometimes blurry because of the larger LCD. Good Luck in your decision, it took me many weeks to decide on the SD500. I did not receive it yet and its for a gift so I cant give you any feedback, just read all good things about them.
03_fjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3

There isn't really an alternative if you want a pocket camera with a viewfinder, large LCD and full manual controls. Lens errors are caused by the lens trying to extend when it is restricted. If you carry the camera with the mode dial in audio record you won't get a lens error. That is a minor hassle, but I like the camera enough that I'm willing to put up with it.

For larger models you would have to refine your requirements a little better.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:28 PM   #4

Hi,

I'm a newbe here. This is a great site!

I too had just about clicked the "buy" button on the EXZ750, then found this site and read about all the issues of the lens error. I have a really old Kodak digital--and everytime I put it into it's carrying case, unless I am very careful, it turns on and the lens extends--but it has never caused a problem.

I'm really afraid that I'd forget once to set the Casio to the audio mode--and then if I'm reading this right, I'm in trouble. Does anyone have an idea as to how many people experience this problem. Is it every camera if it is accidently turned on with the lense restricted? Or is it only certain ones?

I like the Cannon SD550 from the specs, but am concerned about both battery life and the fact that it does not have a true manual mode.

So, what does anyone think of the Cannon SD550?

Thanks!

Den
dennyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:45 PM   #5

Quote:
I'm really afraid that I'd forget once to set the Casio to the audio mode--and then if I'm reading this right, I'm in trouble. Does anyone have an idea as to how many people experience this problem. Is it every camera if it is accidently turned on with the lense restricted? Or is it only certain ones?
The power button is recessed and not that easy to hit. Many people have had the camera for a while and neither put it in audio nor had a lens error. If you don't activate the auto on from the record or play buttons it is fairly hard to turn it on by accident. Those buttons are easy to activate. I've forgotten on occasion to put the camera in audio record, although it is pretty much a habit by now. It is just a matter of odds.

If the lens is just lightly resisted any lens error corrects itself. Jeans pockets or tight pouches can cause a more serious problem. Someone from Casio said they were beefing up the gears and there seem to be fewer problems. Get the gun metal version and you know you will get a recently manufactured camera – hopefully without the tendency to lens errors.

The SD550 is a very good little camera. It has a stronger flash and similar resolution to the Z750. It is larger than the Z750.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:47 AM   #6

Hi Slipe,

Thanks for your comments. I went to a local store to actually look at the Casio and the Cannon. The Casio is impressive--but just for laffs, I lightly restricted lense movement on their demo. Sure enough, I got the lens error. I cycled the camera on and off, and then whenever I tried to zoom out--the lens error came back. I guess I busted it!

I then tried the same thing on the Cannon--again, I just slightly held the lens back. The Cannon turned itself off, then worked fine when I turned it back on. I am disappointed, because I really like the Casio better. But I know myself, and I can't imagine that at some point, I wouldn't accidently restrict the lens movement a bit.

Sooo, since I want something before the end of the year, and it doesn't appear Casio has beefed up the gears--I've dropped the camera from my list. I am looking at the Cannon SD550 pretty seriously. I really would like something that allows more manual control than the Cannon--but I also want an optical view finder.

If the Casio guy is still reading this--is there any upgrade in the works? When will it be out, if one is planned. From reading the postings, it seems this issue is costing them a lot of sales--so I would think they'd resolve it sometime soon.

Den
dennyls is offline   Reply With Quote