Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

I have a choice between the Sony Cyber-shot 4.1 or the Canon Power-shot 3.2. Any suggestions which would be the best for a first time user? Thanks.
lanadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:20 PM   #2

I'm not sure which models you're referring to... But, if I were to make a generalization, I think I could say that Canons have better image quality than Sonys of similar sizes and resolutions (the Sonys tend to take grainy pictures, the Canons expose well and capture bright colors), but the Sonys are a little easier to use IMO. Does that help?

Then again, if you let us know the two specific models, maybe we can compare, or share our experience with them (if any).

PS: This is slightly offensive and annoying but somewhat amusing. "The Sony with 5MP" made me thing of it... Enjoy:

http://camerastore.blogspot.com/2004...-you-have.html
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3

The Canon is the A400 and the Sony, I'm not sure. It just says Cyber-Shot 4.1 with 1.5 LCD. I can't find a number on it anywhere. We're ordering for a work relatedreward and this was all the info thatwas in the catalogue, approximate price for the Sony in Cdn dollars is $269. and $220. for the Canon. This is all the info that I have at this time. Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated!
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:16 PM   #4

I think the Sony might be an S40 but not sure.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:38 AM   #5

If that's the case (S40 vs A400), then the Sony has a higher resolution (which does not guarantee higher image quality, but in general is a good thing) and more zoom (3x, versus 2x for the Canon). The Sony is also smaller (96.5 x 50.8 x 33mm, versus 107 x 53.4 x 36.8mm for the Canon) and can take better video (VGA resolution at 30fps, versus 10 for the Canon). Personally, I also think the interface on the Sony is less confusing, especially for a beginner. So I vote Sony. If we're talking Canon A400 vs Sony S40, of course.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:07 AM   #6

Thanks very much and thanks also for that link. Was quite funny!
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

Just got some more information on that Sony. It says 4.1 megapixel, 1.5 LCDwith 14-bit DXP. Whatever that is? You must love us "newbies!"
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:05 PM   #8

The megapixels, of course, refer to the resolution:

http://www.airshowfan.com/guide-to-d...htm#megapixels

The LCD is the liquid crystal display, that is, the screen on the back, which in this case seems to be 1.5 inches in size. That is smaller than average, but since this camera is so small, then the size is all right, especially if the resolution on the screen is high.

14-bit DXP refers to an image processor that can handle more colors, so that dynamic range is improved and color gradients are smoother:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro.../14bitdxp.html

Of course, once you make a regular JPEG with this information, the extra bits are gone, but I guess they could allow the camera to have more information from which to record a richer image, theoretically.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #9

What do you know about the HP Photosmart M517, 5.2 ? Is it a decent camera for first time users?