Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:14 PM   #1

Howdy.

Looking to replace my Pentax Optio with a new small camera, and I'd like to get one with decent video quality. Are the ones that shoot in MPEG-4 like the Casio Exslim going to be my best bet?The Nikon 7900 looks good, but it appears to use the Quicktime format, which I believe isn't as goodquality, and I think it's not as easy to edit in all the video software programs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
im5150too is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

MPEG4 and Quicktime by themselves don't indicate the quality of the video, just which codecs are used to compress it. Well, Quicktime can use a number of codecs, but never mind. The point is, look for the video size/resolution (640x480 pixels? 320x240?) and the framerate (30 frames per second? 15 fps? 10?) to know the quality of the video. The nice thing about MPEG4 videos is that the file ends up much smaller in terms of how much space is needed in the card/memory, so you can fit a lot more video into your card.

The compact Sonys all take video at 30fps, 640x480 resolution, which is just about as good as it gets. So do a bunch of the Casios, as you found out. The Kodak V550 also does, and I think it's the only compact camera that lets you use the zoom while recording video, so to me that sets it apart as being much more camcorder-like than other compact digital cameras. (The Exilim P505 also lets you use zoom while shooting video, as do a few bigger digital cameras).

I hope that helps.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:40 AM   #3

Check out the Sanyo Xacti C6 in the Sanyo Forum, it's ultra-compact, great for video and has good stills.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 3:50 PM   #4

Great info, Thanks!

In reading up on the Kodak V550, the video quality got some bad reviews, as well as the short battery life.

Any thoughts on the Casio EX-Z750, and how it would compare?

Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

Hi,

I think you should have a look at the actual canon models. Video quality is not only a matter of resolution, but also of compression. You can check out video samples at the review pages of this site and at dpreview.com.
In my opinion nothing compares to canon in terms of video quality.
My recommendation would be canon a620 (quite small with flip and twist display, decent picture quality) or canon s80 (real wideangle, very compact and "chic", excellent picture quality - really excellent).
Hope this helps
greetings
Ivan
Ivan Karamasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 5:35 PM   #6

It does indeed!

I will take a look at the Canons.

I realize i'm not going to get camcorder performance out of a tiny digital camera, I'm just looking for the best that is out there.

Thanks again. This is a fantastic board!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

In looking at the Canon's, it appears the SD-550 Elphis more in the size range I was seeking.Would the videoin this model also be of better quality?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:08 PM   #8

Yes the Canon's have a nice movie mode im5150too, justtake notethat they record in Motion JPEG, whichconsumes a fairly high bit-rate,therefore if you plan to take a lot of movie footagein high quality movie mode you'll be able to fit only about 7 minutes of video total per 1GB card. Compare with an MPEG-4 camera that could take an hour in high quality per 1GB card.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:10 PM   #9

Ahhhh...

Sounds like I need to find the best one that records in MPEG-4.....

Casio?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:07 PM   #10

My opinion is that it's the Sanyo C6, but the Casiosdo ok MPEG-4.