Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2005, 7:59 PM   #1

I'm looking for a compact, budget-friendly camera that I can use at a concert. The main problem is I can't use flash, so I need something that will take at least decent shots in low-light without a flash. I know they'll end up being blurry; I just ask that they be legible. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the site gave a good review to the Canon Powershot A410, so I was thinking about that. The only complaint I have about it is that there's no sound on the movie mode, which I'd really appreciate. I know I'm asking for a lot in a budget camera, but any help would be appreciated.
kmb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:17 PM   #2

Sorry to be the first to reply to my own questions, but can anyone give me opinions on the Sony Cybershot DSC-S60? Steve says it has a low-ligh illumination lamp, good shooting performance, and excellent video. Thoughts?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

The low light lamp is a focus assist. It doesn't light your targetor even assist in focus further than 10 or so feet away. The S60 is f5.6 at telephoto and gets really noisy at its max ISO of 400. I don't think it would be too good for concerts.

The best compact camera on the market for concerts is probably the Fuji F10. You can raise the ISO and still get decent pictures with acceptable noise.

If the F10 is too pricey you will probably get about the same performance as the S60 from other inexpensive small cameras. Look for the lowest number you can find for the f-stop at full zoom and then go for price. Get an optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks. Yeah, I know the focus-assist doesn't actually light the subject, but I figured it's better than not having that feature at all. I will look into the others you mentioned.

I don't know... I think just about anything is better than my 3-year-old Fuji Finepix with 1-point focus.:?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:03 PM   #5