Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:09 PM   #1

I am racking my brain on which camera i should get.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"either the SD450 or the A610 from Canon

Im fighting over which one beacuase:

one is smaller and has a biggers lcd screen the sd 450

and the other is bigger with a option rotating lcd and a 1x optical zoom.

PLEASE LAY DOWN THE LAW FOR ME ON THESE TO CAMERAS WHICH ONE WOULD YOU GO WITH FOR THE BEST VALUE!

thanks!
guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:39 PM   #2

I have no idea which would represent better value for you or even which would be the better choice.

If you want a very good little point and shoot camera you can always have with you the SD450 is hard to beat. The camera you have with you is always a lot better than the one sitting at home.

If you think you might want to experiment with more advanced stuff, the A610 has a lot more control. Both reviewers and members have complained that the interface is not the best, but everything is there. And digital cameras are great learning tools with the ability to review the images quickly in the computer with EXIF information to remind you of your shooting parameters.

I am a big fan of an articulated LCD. You can get different perspective from near the ground and over your head. You can shoot over things and get better candid shots without standing behind a camera with it pointed at someone.

If you don't plan on using the manual modes I would think the SD450 would be a handier camera to own. They are both excellent cameras.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:41 PM   #3

thank you for your advice. I think I would ike to take it with me everywhere I go. I just heard the image quality is better on the A610 you think so as well?
guitardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

guitardude wrote:
Quote:
thank you for your advice. I think I would ike to take it with me everywhere I go. I just heard the image quality is better on the A610 you think so as well?
Probably not that you would notice. If younitpick at 100% so you have to scroll around the screen to see the entire image you might see slight differences.

About the only real difference you would likely see is in the extra optical zoom range on the A610. And the A610 has a better aperture at full zoom. The corners might be ever so slightly sharper with the A610, but there isn't usually anything in the corners you want sharp anyway.

Set your browser to not resize and look at some of Steve's sample pictures. The SD450 takes good pictures.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote