Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1

Like other who post here I have read and researched cameras and here are a few I am considering. The Canon S2 &Panasonic FZ5. I do want more than 3x optical zoom although I would be willing to go down to around 7x rather than the higher ones I have listed. I shoot picture of my girls (ages 9 & 13) both outside and the typical indoor snapshot of parties and stuff. Enjoy doing outdoor pics of them also (lots of fall pics) My husband will use it for hunting pics (yuk)

I do occasionally print up to 8x10's so I want that option even though the majority will be 4x6's. As for price I want to stay under 500.00 and would prefer under 400.00 as I know I will need to purchase extras. My one concern I suppose is the flash. I have used a Nikon FG for about 20 years and am used to the external flash on it. It takes beautiful pics, but I love the convenience of the digital. Will I be terribly disappointed without an external flash? I cannot at this time afford the higher priced SLR cameras so that's not an opiton. What's your experience with these cameras or is there another you would suggest. I have also considered the Kodak line, but alwaysget the impression they are a little less of a camera than some of the others. I also want to keep in mind that I will not be keeping this camera for the 20 years I had my Nikon (it still works), so money is a factor

I'd appreciate any input you might have.
scrapmom93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:54 PM   #2

I have a similar question, really. I've been comparing the Konica Minolta Z6 against the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, the price point and features is right where I need it to be.

The in-depth review of the Z5 (on dpreview) says that it has terrible noise if you get above ISO 80, and is nearly unusable at the highest settings. Too bad, because I take a lot of macro shots and may need the higher settings in low light. The Panasonic has far less noise, so I'm leaning in that direction. The anti-shake is a must IMO. I also want the higer resolutions becuase I want to be able to print larger than 4x6 photos (also for scrapbooking).

Does the newer Z6 have any less noise problems than the Z5 ? Would I even need to worry about higher ISO's ? I'm not a pro, just an advanced amateur, so any input would be appreciated. I've had a Canon AE-1 for 20+ years, love it, but it needs maintenance and my zoom lenses are so heavy to lug around. I have a little Nikon, and that's fine for carrying around all the time, but its extremely limited (can't even turn off the flash !) so I want another, better digital.

Thanks !!
LadynRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:53 PM   #3

I recommend the Canon Powershot IS S2. It's 5mp (more than enough for 6"x8" prints), 12x zoom, it has image stabilization so you can actually use the 12x zoom handheld, it takes pictures faster than most other compact digitals, it can record movies, and is basically an all around great camera which you can get for $450 at Circuit City and many other places.

If you can find the Powershot IS S1 for around $250, you might want to consider that instead. It's very similar, but only 3mp. My mom has it and her 4"x6" prints look great. I just don't know where you can get one anymore.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 9:17 AM   #4

Thanks Corpsy, I'll look into the Canon. I might be able to find an S1 refurb somewhere if I can't find an S2 for less than $450. I appreciate the input !
LadynRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:03 AM   #5

The FZ5 is a great little camera. A general limitation, if you care, is that its movie mode is sub-par. A specific limitation that may matter to you is that it does not support manual focus. This can be an issue with macro photography especially, as the focus is touchier for that than for most photography. If these aren't big issues, it would be a wonderful choice. If you like everything about it except the lack of manual focus, the FZ20 might be a good choice. It's a bit larger camera, but is otherwise very similar, and will run about $400 over the internet at this time.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote