Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1

I am a jewelry and handmade glass bead artist and have been researching a digital camera for website and auction pictures. I need a camera with excellent macro, (or super macro), white balance and a good depth of field. I also need a camera that will give me good, true to life colors that will accurately show the colors of glass that I use to make my beads, and a camera that would give me good enough pictures to send in for publications.I'm sure I might need more, but am not very experienced with digital photography, my last camera was a Mavica-75.

I thought I had it narrowed down to a Olympus C-5050 zoom, but am apprehensive that the camera is no longer being made and I've also read about it freezing up after a year or so. I have a photo tent set up and Paintshop Pro 8 for editing but have no clue how to use it yet. I'd rather spend a bit more money and not limit myself with a camera that will be outdated 2 months after I buy it, the C-5050 was about as high as I wanted to go price wise. I also don't want something that is so difficult that I will get frustrated trying to learn it .

I'm not loyal to any brand at this point, so can anyone give any suggestions on a camera that would work for me. I've read all the reviews from the top sites and it seems the more I read, the more confused I get. I see people with okay and good pictures, but I want great, sharp pictures, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edie
Starrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:52 AM   #2

I hope you get lots of answers...I'm in the same predicament. :?
nightowwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 6:14 AM   #3

Hmm,

Web photos are usually pretty low resolution (72 DPI) so just about any digicam of, lets say, 3 megapixels or more, will do it for you.

If your looking at publications and you don't think you'll get much more than a 4x6 size in the publication, a 3mp will do it.

But if you need "photo quality" (300 dpi) up to a size of 8x10, then you'd be best looking at a DSLR with a minimum 6mp sensor, and a good macro capability lens.

As far as getting the best rendition of color, a DSLR will do it. Some of the more techical sites will tell you how well the DLSR delivers the truest color rendition.

If your happy with a point and shoot, You need a cam with a built in lens with good macro capability. Just check the reviews on Steve's site and find one with good macro capability.

I've done a little photography for auctions and website,s and the most important factor is lighting.

Unfortunately most people know very little about "product photography", which usually involves lighting items from the sides to avoid any glaring reflection directly back up to the camera.

You can go for a lighting stand, which is what the pro's use, or you can fashion one on the cheap yourself, by positioning lights at the sides of your object on a neutral background.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I do have a photo tent with lights and a camera stand, I guess I was just hoping to find someone who had experience photographing jewelry and or glass and could recommend a specific camera that they use and are happy with.

I've read alot of the reviews, and find the more I read the more confusing it gets.

Edie
Starrr is offline   Reply With Quote