Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:34 PM   #1

My daughter is a stroke victim who was right handed, but now has no use of the right hand or arm.* She wants a digital camera and I have not been successful in locating one that has controls and shutter button on the left side.* I would like to find a suitable digital camera for her for Christmas.* Anyone have any suggestions?beetee
beetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:01 AM   #2

Tripod, remote shutter release and a tilting LCD screen are all good for one handed users. AFAIK there are no 'left handed' digicams available. I don't wish to pry but if your daughter is using a wheelchair then you can attach the camera to the chair in a convenient position for her to use with her good hand.
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply.* No, she is not in a wheel chair - thank goodness, she can use her right leg.* It's just the arm and hand.* Surely, someday, someone will consider handicapped users when designing technology items.* We'll practice with my Kodak Easy Share and see if she can use it.* It has some controls on the left , focusing and applying the shutter button may be a problem.* Again, thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:31 PM   #4

Shecould try using it upside down.
Hendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:03 AM   #5

From Steve's reviews I think he mentions the new hybrids (Photos/Movie) Sanyo Xacti C4/C5 (the C6 is just coming out now) and the Sony M1 (M2 is out now) as being useable by left handed people (bonus: they are actually one handed cameras!). These are point an shoots, with no viewfinder (LCD display). Links:Steve's C5 review; Steve's M1 review. (note: I just re-read them and in Steve's conclusions he compares them and says the C5 is easier to operate (inM1 conclusion)and describes Sony's buttons as a complete disaster (in C5 conclusion, paragraph 2))

If you are looking for acheaper camera (~$100) check out the Hybrid forum, thereare a lot of these "pistol grip" cameras that are thumb controlled.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6

Thank you so much for all the info on the "pistol grip" cameras.* We're checking those out.* Have read Steve's reviews and will look at the Hybrid Forum also.* Your response puts on the right track I think.* Again, thank you.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:21 PM   #7

I just tried using my Fuji F10 with only my left hand, and I think it is very possible. The camera rests on my thumb exteneded underneath the camera, my middle finger pushes the shutter, and my index finger can reach all the menu buttons. However, switching the mode ring surrounding the shutter button is difficult, and one would have to make sure the rest of the hand was not blocking the flash, etc. However, I think any of the smallest digicams would be usable by her. If you can, take her to a local store that sells cameras, and let her try out the smallest ones.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I just tried our Canon Ixus700 and it's certainly possible to use it with just the left hand.

I put my four fingers on top and the thumb on the bottom, if she has small hands (mine aren't particularly large) she might find she is obscuring the LCD somewhat, but I would still imagine any of the Ixus range would be usable and by inference most small digicams.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote