Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:57 AM   #1

Hi, I'm new to posting on this forum but have been looking at posts for a few months now since I decided to upgrade my current camera.¬* I'm really interested in the S5200 and have read quite a bit both here and on other forums.¬* I'm impressed by the speed of the camera and the high ISO capabilities, but am a little concerned about what I have read regarding the watercolor effect.¬* It also sounds like this camera is quite good at low levels of light, with the strong focus assist lamp, natural light mode, and again high ISO.¬* I also like having the superzoom capability, although this sacrifices some on the wide angle side of things.¬* However, I'm also really impressed by the quality of the lens and¬* the overall picture quality.¬* It seems to me that everyone who has one raves about this.¬* It also has a larger sensor, albeit with more megapixels, and I haven't done the math to know if this size increase is big enough to allow for smaller pixels.¬* The Olympus lacks the zoom range but I like the wide angle capabilities.¬* Now¬*for what I generally shoot, which will hopefully help you guys give adivce.¬* Some recent examples: historic Savannah architecture/squares, fall foliage, hiking and waterfalls, architecture, sunsets, and when I travel large, dim indoor spaces, ie churches and cathedrals.¬* Usually when I shoot people they are outdoor pictures as well.¬* One other thing.¬* If I went with the Fuji I would buy it new while I would try to get the Olympus on Ebay since I could probably find it at a comparable price or only a little more than the Fuji.¬* I am also already invested in XD cards, hence my interest in these two brands.¬* I hope this is informative information.¬* I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
bjereshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:13 AM   #2

Hello,

I've used the S5200 for two months now, here's my opinion.

1. Watercolor effect - this only affects the picture in jpeg mode, if you use RAW, it's non-existent, because the watercolor artifact is caused by the in-camera's noise reduction processing. At iso64-200, you will not notce it, at iso400 and 800, if you view the pic at 100%, you will see it. At iso1600, it gets really bad.

Here are some samples I made:

http://curtisfun.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php

2. The C8080 is one of the best, along with the Canon Pro 1, at capturing details, and along with its lens, the most suitable for outdoor Photography. Seens like you do lots of these, I would pick the C8080, given enough light, it can focus fine.

curtis
curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3

I agree with Curtis! The Olympus will give you better outdoor photo quality. It has more features and a great lens. Here is an indoor sample.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:25 PM   #4
E.T

bjereshe wrote:
Quote:
Now¬*for what I generally shoot, which will hopefully help you guys give adivce.¬* Some recent examples: historic Savannah architecture/squares, fall foliage, hiking and waterfalls, architecture, sunsets, and when I travel large, dim indoor spaces, ie churches and cathedrals.
Real wide angle is must for those.

As example for different field of views this was taken at 28mm with addition of 0.8x converter. (~22.5mm)

For getting 38mm FOV take away one third from height and width... meaning much over half of photos area!
28mm is just slightly over 1/6th narrower.

And it's funny to see people taking steps backwards to fit everything into frame of those general unwide angle cameras while I could go couple steps closer.

Also I would suggest checking (Konica)Minolta's A-serie, those have 28-200mm lens which is great for general photography and anti-shake enables two-three stops (ISO steps) longer shutter time.
And from what I've seen AS gives great results in low light architecture shots.

Quote:
It also has a larger sensor, albeit with more megapixels, and I haven't done the math to know if this size increase is big enough to allow for smaller pixels.
Here's rough pixels per square millimeter calculations for Fuji S5200 and Sony's 2/3" sensor used in big bunch of prosumers, including KMs and Oly.

S5200: 5 000 000 / (5.76 x 4.29) ~ 202 000 pixel/sqmm

Sony 2/3":8 000 000 / (8.8 x 6.6) ~ 138 000 pixel/sqmm

And with RAW and right processing 2/3" Sony's ISO400 should be very clean while even ISO800 of this, stated as noisy by reviewers -sensor, should be quite good.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16292804

I'm myself intending to go for RAW shooting in next summer now when KM A2's newest firmware update decreased writing time of RAW to 4-5 seconds (~12s for full three shot buffer) with fastest cards.

curtisfun wrote:
Quote:
Watercolor effect - this only affects the picture in jpeg mode, if you use RAW, it's non-existent, because the watercolor artifact is caused by the in-camera's noise reduction processing.
And then there's propably lot of noise...

RAW shots from S9000 are really noisy even at ISO400... and then this sensor is advertized to be high ISO capable...
http://www.videozona.ru/photo_tests/...Z30_page05.asp

S9000 has 1/1.6" sensor whose size is between 1/1.7" (7.6x5.7mm) and 2/3"...
For 1/1.7" density would be ~208 000 but let's make calculation using average of 1/1.7" and 2/3" sizes.
9 000 000 / (8.2 x 6.15) ~ 178 500

So it's much more about Fuji's very strong NR filtering instead of some revolutional sensor.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 1:59 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice.¬* I was also wondering, is it safe to buy either used or refurbished cameras on ebay?¬* Or are there any other similar sites where I might find this camera for less than $500?¬*¬*
bjereshe is offline   Reply With Quote