Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:00 AM   #1

Hello. New member here looking to buy first digicam. Have done research and can't decide between these two. Want smallish camera with 2.5 LCD that my wife and I can take everywhere. Want to stay under $350 and realize no camera is perfect at that price. Wife just wants to point and shoot; I wouldn't mind playing with the features a bit, so the camera should work well in either situation.

Consensus seems to be that F10 takesclass-leading quality photos, especially in low light.Great battery life too. That's very appealing. Two concerns:

1. Lack of optical viewfinder and problems in bright sunlight. What do F10 owners do in this situation? Guess and shoot? Put the camera away? Seems like this could be a major drawback. Or is this a minor problem that only surfaces in extreme situations? I have no experience here so I have no personal preference.

2. Confusing/inconvenient menu and operations. If my wife wants to just point and shoot, will it be a problem if she doesn't want to fiddle with the menu? Seems like you have to play with the F10 settings a bit to get the best results.

Bottom line:is the Canon SD450 photo quality good enough that it's not worth dealing with the above F10 concerns? SD450 seems to get good reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2

4eyes-

The Fuji F-10 will give you better photo quality and offer you the added advantage of high ISO capabilities as well, allowing you to take night photos and photos without flash. The F-10 is the BETTER camera. I love mine.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3

Thanks, MT. Glad to know thatphoto quality is as good as advertised. One question: what about the LCD in bright sunlight? Is it usable? That's my main concern (followed by ease of use for my wife). What do you do for those sunny outside shots?

Thanks again.

4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:46 AM   #4

There was an interesting post at dpreview by a Casio Z750 owner. He said he didn't see the absolute necessity for an optical finder until he tried to shoot his son's little league baseball game. At full zoom he couldn't acquire and follow action adequately with the LCD. I always switch to the optical finder in dynamic situations, even though the optical finder on the Z750 isn't as good as the one on the SD450.

In the conclusions of the dpreview tests on the F10 they listed one of the disadvantages of the F10 that the viewfinder wasn't easy to see in sunlight. That can be a problem if you live in a sunny climate.

The F10 is excellent and the high ISO capabilities are great for anyone willing to vary them for conditions. For pure point and shooters it doesn't offer much advantage though. The F10 has incredibly good optics for a small camera, but the SD450 takes excellent photos and you aren't likely to see quality differences in normal use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:22 PM   #5

I love my F10!

The screen is very easy to see in most light situations, and if not, the one touch LCD booster allows the user to at the very least framr the picture. I live in florida, and with a pair of sun glasses and in direct sunlight, I can still see the LCD without too much issue.

Feel free to check out my F10 gallery

http://carskick.blogspot.com/

The cave picture was taken at ISO1600 with the only post processing being desaturation to get rid of some of the artifical coloring. I used the slow synchro flash, which is great for give rich flash pictures. Cave pictures can be a nightmare, but not with this camera.

Also, to answer your second question, the camera does take great photos on auto mode, the only setting you really may want to mess with is ISO, which is easy to get to and edit. Flash, Macro, Timer, and LCD booster are all one touch and convinient.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:17 AM   #6

I would say that the LCD of the F10 is difficult, but not impossible, to see in bright sunlight. I find that thescreen is perfectly usable for framing your shot, and if I have to, like Carskick said, I can push a button to increase the brightness.

I don't find the menus confusing at all. Perhaps compared to some models you have to push a buttonone or two more times to get to the option you want. But I only had to read the manual for 2 things: how to connect the camera to my computer, and how to access the long exposure mode. Everything else I was able to figure out on my own.

You can certainly use the camera in fully automatic mode, so if you or your wife don't want to fiddle with the menus, you can just turn the dial to "AUTO"and leave all the decisions to the camera. Or use the handy Scene modes. It will produce very good results. But to get the very best out of the camera, I would suggest that you at least learn to adjust the ISO yourself, rather than leaving it on auto, and get familiar with exposure compensation. They're really not that hard to figure out, and you'll be even more satisfied with the results.

Stephanie

My Fujifilm FinePix F10 Gallery
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:45 AM   #7

One other thing about the viewfinder- if you're taking action shots, don't zoom. Use the cameras 6.3mp and crop later. A 50% crop is still a 3mp picture, quite acceptable for prints.

Funny that people have issue with the lcd in sunlight, I have never had any issue with mine, even though I tried to find situations where it would fail to please me.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:30 PM   #8

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
One other thing about the viewfinder- if you're taking action shots, don't zoom. Use the cameras 6.3mp and crop later. A 50% crop is still a 3mp picture, quite acceptable for prints.

Funny that people have issue with the lcd in sunlight, I have never had any issue with mine, even though I tried to find situations where it would fail to please me.
That's good advice. Unless your camera can maintain a really fast aperature while zooming, leave it at the widest possible angle and crop later. Very few 3x optical cameras maintain a fast aperature throughout the zoom range.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote