Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2005, 3:55 AM   #1
bbm

Hi folks..

Having been disappointed with my first digital camera I am looking to purchase again. I bought a Minolta DiMageX31 and it's a good camera but is practically unable to take a decent indoors shot without autofocus problems, about 50% of indoor photos are scrap. And the remainder are average at best.

I've been looking at the CannonA520, Kodak7530, KodakZ700 and they are all just at my budget. They are all within my megapixil and zoom requirements. What I'd like is some advice from folks who have held and used some of these cameras. The A520 is currently my favorite as I've read good reviews about its low light shots using the AiAF system. It also seems to have more options for manual control & accessoriesas I'd like to progress this direction when I get the basics under control..

Any advicewould be appreciated...

Thanks...

Brian

bbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:23 AM   #2
bbm

Hi folks...

Anyone got any recommendations here... I plan on purchasing soon...

Thanks in advance..
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:28 PM   #3

bbm wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks...

Anyone got any recommendations here... I plan on purchasing soon...

Thanks in advance..

post your actual budget and how your plan to carry it and how often, what kind of shots you doing?

the A520 is a nice camera, I'd go A610 over it, but it is bigger.

My wife's SD450 is proving awesome at just P&S which is what she does. The video/sound is good as well. She shoots indoor at night shots of our cats.

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 9:27 AM   #4
bbm

Hi.. The A610 doeslook good and its size is fine, I can get the A520 for €194 and the 610 would set me back €330. About €200 is my budget so I reckon the A520 is as much camera I'll get for my budget... I'd really like to know if its indoor capability is sufficiently better than my current Minolta DiMageX31.

Thanks and happy holidays to all...

Brian
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:45 AM   #5
bbm

I decided to research you advice to see what I would gain for streaching my budget... In the review of the 610/620 the focus assist beam is particularly commented on rather than in the 510 review. Do I take it from this that it is consoderably stronger or covers a greater distance...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for your advice...
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:29 AM   #6
bbm

Hi,

I handeled the 610 in store and was very impressed with its feel and weight, for larger hands it feels much better than the ultra compact cameras I've handeled. Went ahead and purchased the A610 online and am waiting delivery. I was supprised to save €60 on the camera online incluging a free case & shipping compared to the instore "sale" price.

Thanks

Brian