Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:36 AM   #41

That's really too bad!! I am a former Minolta film user..started with a Maxxum 300 and quickly moved to the 5xi in the early 90's. The main reason switched to Nikon was Minolta's slow entry into the DSLR market, and over the months it has become increasingly difficult to avoid jumping back in and adding the 5d or 7d to my arsenal. Although I love sony camera's (my P&S backup is a V3) and will certainly take a look at any Sony DSLR offerings, not having a Minolta offering to look at in the future will take some getting used to.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:44 AM   #42
Administrator

Some of KM's assets are being transferred to Sony, who will continue to develop DSLR models around the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax lens system.

This could be a good thing in the long run, since Sony makes the sensors used in DSLR models from Nikon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta.

But, it will take some getting used to.

The rumour mill has it that new DSLR models from KM were to be launched at PMA (along with some new lenses). If the rumours are correct, then I don't know what impact KM's announcement is going to have. I guess we'll need to wait and see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 8:47 AM   #43

Well, that just sucks. Sounds like a merger more than a death... though.

"In this relation, we have decided to withdraw from camera business[sup]*2"

[/sup]"*2 Except for digital SLR cameras and interchangeable lenses produced for Sony."

So, Were done making cameras... except that we'll still make cameras.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:03 AM   #44

First off, I agree with peripatetic and his views about the grainy pic of the silk factory.¬* These are some of the results I have now with my Canon A70.¬* Not acceptable.The news about KM getting out of the digital camera business; I don't see the negative effect for my situation at the moment.¬* This may only limit a future purchase of a new DSLR to a Sony though?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:10 AM   #45
Administrator

I've got mixed feelings on it...

I am curious about the rumour mill.... One source that's been reliable in the past has said that a replacement for the 7D is already rolling off the production lines.

If it's true (and I don't know), I'm curious if it will be wearing a Sony or KM badge. I guess we'll find out pretty soon with PMA next month.

Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:25 AM   #46
Super Moderator

i was disheartened to read that news this morning.. minolta has always been an innovation leader and a producer of fine cameras.. will be weird not to see them anymore, or to see the badge replaced by sony..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:35 AM   #47
Super Moderator

Hopefully they'll continue the line and develop it further and call it Sony-Minolta.

With Sony's financial muscle behind the brand it need not be a bad thing, but you never know with Sony. Sometimes they do great and sometimes they mess things up rather badly.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:23 AM   #48

Lets¬*say if I am completely turned off by Minolta going out of the camera business, and now I am going to purchase a different manufacturer, which camera has the same or exact capabilities of the Maxxum 5D considering the same low light capabilities?¬* Or has the price just gone over a $1000 budget?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:44 AM   #49
Super Moderator

Gets tricky...

My personal view is that you should then choose either Nikon or Canon. Image stabilisation comes on the lens with these systems.

Nikon D50 + 18-55mm lens $650
Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF $105
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX HSM $400

But there is no image stabilisation on that set!

Canon XT + 18-55mm $880 (no image stabilisation)

Canon XT + 17-85mm IS USM $1250 (with stabilisation)

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 $80
Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM $400 or Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX HSM $400

Nothing wrong with any of those selections and IMO the prices reflect pretty much what you get for your money.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:45 AM   #50
Administrator

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
Letssay if I am completely turned off by Minolta going out of the camera business, and now I am going to purchase a different manufacturer, which camera has the same or exact capabilities of the Maxxum 5D considering the same low light capabilities? Or has the price just gone over a $1000 budget?
You can't buy another brand that has both ISO 3200 and Antishake with all of your lenses, including bright primes.

Konica-Minolta is the "only game in town", at any price (at least for right this minute).

You can get stabilized lenses from other manufacturers (for example, Canon and Nikon). But, they don't make stabilized lenses that are as bright as the lenses you can get for a KM body (since every lens works with Antishake, including bright primes).

IMO, a KM DSLR model would be hard to beat for existing light use.

If Antishake is not a big concern, then DSLR models from other manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Pentax) do have relatively low noise at higher ISO speeds (but, some of the entry level models like the Canon Rebel XT and Nikon D50 only have up to ISO 1600, versus ISO 3200 with the KM 5D).

So, you'd need to deliberately underexpose with some of these models to simulate ISO 3200 if you needed it, then brighten the images later with software

Of course, you don't want to shoot at ISO 3200 unless absoutely necessary. But, I have used my KM 5D in lighting so low that it was necessary (and AS was needed, too without a tripod in some lighting I've used it in).