Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:02 PM   #61

Thanks for the info.* I think the choice still lies in the KM 5D based on that information.* If the Canon is not heads above the rest, especially for resolution considering the extra 2MP, then at this time, it does not make much sense to spend the extra cash.* Maybe for the money, the two contenders should be the Nikon and KM with the KM having a couple of better/ extra features to possibly win my vote. *I will compare the Nikon and KM more closely.* Any thoughts about the KM vs. Nikon?* I think either camera will be great and this will allow me to learn, use effectively, and be creative with an DSLR.*
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:16 PM   #62

gobucks-

The Nikon D-50 has a maximum ISO setting of only 1600, while the KM 5D has a maximum ISO setting of 3200. At least to me it is no contest at all. The KM 5D wins easily.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:23 PM   #63

Ready to buy the KM 5D.* I noticed that B&H is out of stock.* Any other trusted retailers with this great price?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:10 PM   #64

Whoa, B&H KEH and Adorama are all out of stock! Since I don't think they were changing anything until March I guess the anouncement has had a very positive effect on sales?

Circuit City appears to have it for $720 (web only). Best buy is sold out. Ritz camera is IN STOCK and has dropped thier price back to $750 (minus the $50 minolta rebate). NewEgg is in stock for $680, this looks like your best bet.

I have bought from and trust all the retailers I listed.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:42 PM   #65

Well, in truth with the K-M announcement that they were folding the prices could have either gone two ways, either up or down. In the short term, the prices have gone up, rather than down.

There still are other retailers, such as www.buydig.com and www.beachcamera.comthat have K-M 5D's in stock.

However, in all honesty, this could be a short term spike, and next week we will see a real downturn in the K-M 5D price. That is the camera business. I know, as I used to be a retailer.

MT
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:29 AM   #66
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
There still are other retailers, such as http://www.buydig.com and http://www.beachcamera.comthat have K-M 5D's in stock.
Well, the Maxxum 5D is gone from their web site today, too (the larger distributors probably ran out, so many retailers are showing out of stock now, too)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 8:16 AM   #67

If there are going to be availability issues, I may get frustrated and go with a Nikon D50!* I am going/ need to confirm that Newegg has the 5D as a kit; which I believe the part number listed is the kit number, but Newegg's description does not state it comes with a lens.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:37 AM   #68

It is, but your too late. They're also out of stock now.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:41 PM   #69

Found the 5D in stock at Samy's camera for the same price as B&H.* Should receive next week.* Now I need to find the KM 50mm f/1.7 lens in stock somewhere and get a suggestion for a good tripod under $100.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:24 PM   #70

gobucks-

I am glad you found a KM 5D. You will enjoy it.

MT