Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:53 PM   #1

This is my first time on the forum

I need help in buying my first digital camera.

Camera will be used for:

- Beach and park photos in sunlight

- Photo of active dolphins

- Photos of Bus and trains (when they standing still)

- Nightshots taken from a 4th floor of citylight

- most photos will be taken in sunlight.

I have 2 chooses after checking many different cameras

Canon Sd550 (ixus 750) or Fuji F10 .

Canon sd550

pro:the best photo quality and nice camera design, viewfinder,

con(Bad): short battery life, expensive,Not so good as fujion nightshots

Fuji F10:

Pro: The best compact camera for Nightshots, optional cradle charger, good battery

Con(Bad): Photo quality not so good as canon (too bright) , Xdcard, Cant use neckstrap, camera design not so nice as canon.

The biggest issue here seem to be that with Canon i can proudly wear a nice looking camera and take ultra-sharp photos in sunlight, while i will struggle a bit taking nightshots , but with Fuji i can get excelent nightshots and i get overall good photos on the day but inferior of Canon (fuji too bright) and Fuji F10 is not much of a Show-off camera in design.

At the moment i am thinking most about Fuji F10 since it performs well on nightshots and probaly is also good in capturing moving dolphins . but i cant realy forget about how great Canon photos realy are, they are just so sharp and bright (Except for the nightshots).

What should i do get Canon sd550 or Fuji F10

Price where i will buy is Fuji F10: 380 Euro , Canon Sd550(ixus 750) 500 euro

is it realy worth paying 120 euro more for Canon sd550 over Fuji F10?

John@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:06 AM   #2

I'm not sure I agree with you about the F10 taking better night shots than the SD550. If you set both cameras to the lowest ISO setting, mount them on tripods, and use the long exposure mode, both will take very good night shots. It's when you increase the ISO that the F10 really shines, and the SD550 can't really compete. But assuming you're going to be taking your night shots with a tripod (you WILL, won't you?), you would probably use the lowest ISO anyway.

Also, you say that the F10's outdoor pictures are "too bright". Do you mean that they look overexposed? Because the F10 does have an occasional tendency to do this. It's really easy to fix, though. Just set exposure compensation to -1/3 EV.

The main advantages that the F10 has, IMO, are its high ISO capability and its excellent battery life. One thing I really appreciate is that it shows the shutter speed when you half-press the shutter button. I find that really useful; it has saved me from blurry pictures many times.

Although I personally prefer the F10,it sounds like you prefer the images from the SD550 overall, especially the daytime ones, and according to you, most of your pictures are going to be taken in sunlight. So, as long as you stick to ISO 50 and use a tripod for the night shots, I think that its night images are equal or almost equal to that of the F10. Plus, you seem to place a lot of importance on its looks, and I won't deny that the SD550 is a pretty sexy looking little camera. So if I were you, I think I'd go for the Canon.

Stephanie

My Fujifilm FinePix F10 gallery
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:58 AM   #3

I too prefer the Fuji for several reasons. The primary reasons is it's low noise. I cannot tell you how many shots I've taken that would not have been possible without the camera's high ISO capability. I have taken many pictures of my cats with it at ISO 400 and 800, because if you use the flash, they get green eye, and they move too much for a tripod at ISO100. I don't use a tripod very often, although I am trying to use it more often, but the high ISO means I don't have to use a tripod most of the time.

When I compare the F10 sample pictures against the Canon SD550, I find I prefer the coloring and fluidity of the shots the F10 takes. Some find it's shots are slightly too soft, but that's basically just in camera processing, and a photoshop edge sharpening command can make it just as sharp as the canon, though I find I like the slightly softer images it produces. Again it is a matter of prefrence on the image quality, but the noise factor is too big for me to ignore. Besides serious critiquing, the images are relatively noiseless up to ISO400, and only after that does it become apperant. However, one would struggle to see noise on a 4x6 print at ISO800.

I personally like the looks of the Fuji better, too with the silver brushed metal and the grey plastics. It has a very sturdy feel, and is sleek at all angles. The camera comes with a wrist strap, but I'd bet you kind find a neck strap for it if you wanted to. Of course with either camera, any medium sized pocket will hold them.

The SD550 seems to have a few more extra features, but it does cost more too. I would check out Steve's reviews for both camera, dpreview.com, and digitalcamerainfo.com and compare the cameras head on to see which you prefer.

My F10 gallery
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:51 PM   #4

Sjseto wrote:

Quote:
But assuming you're going to be taking your night shots with a tripod (you WILL, won't you?), you would probably use the lowest ISO anyway
John:

I wont get tripod right away i will do that later when i can aford a good big tripod, so in the start i will not use tripod but later i will buy tripod.

Sjseto wrote:

Quote:
Also, you say that the F10's outdoor pictures are "too bright". Do you mean that they look overexposed? Because the F10 does have an occasional tendency to do this. It's really easy to fix, though. Just set exposure compensation to -1/3 EV.
John:

Yes it must be that it is overexposed this seem a common thing with Fuji

it can be good sometimes but not always

i will remember your suggestion about compensation ,thanks.

Sj Seto wrote:

Quote:
The main advantages that the F10 has, IMO, are its high ISO capability and its excellent battery life.
John:

Yes battery life is great on Fuji F10 i love it

Thats another plus for the Fuji i dont need to buy a extra battery with Fuji F10

which i probaly would with Canon sd550/ixus 750
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:58 PM   #5

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
The camera comes with a wrist strap, but I'd bet you kind find a neck strap for it if you wanted to.
John:

Fuji and Reviews tells there is no hole for Neck strap only for wrist strap

But someone suggested i can use the Wrist wrap hole for neck strap

i dont know if that is possible and if the camera will hang well on the neck with that?

One minus i had with Fuji was i read it had no hole for neck strap

but maybe is possible to sort it out somehow.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:02 PM   #6

I have 2 question about Fuji F10:

1. Is it worth getting the Charing cradle?:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-Fuji_CP_FXA10_UNIV

2. Should i get a 512MB Xd card or 1GB Xd card , I heard the 1Gb xd card its slower than the 512 mb card so it better (and enough) get a 512 mb Xd card. I would prefer that a 3 minuts video fits on a empty card.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:34 PM   #7

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:

2. Should i get a 512MB Xd card or 1GB Xd card , I heard the 1Gb xd card its slower than the 512 mb card so it better (and enough) get a 512 mb Xd card. I would prefer that a 3 minuts video fits on a empty card.

I did not bother with the chargin cradle. I only think it is necissary if you have 2 batteries, and want to shoot while charging one. However, the camera's battery life is so good, I don't find this necissary unless you are going somewhere without the ability to charge for an extended period of time.

I would get the 512MB card for now. The type-M cards are slower. I am waiting for the standard speed xD 1Gig cards to come out before I get one. I use a 512MB now, and I can hold about 7.6minutes of video at 640x480, or a little over 15 minutes at 320x240. The video produced is pretty good quality and definitely usable for a few short clips. When 2Gig chips become available, the times will be almost 30 minutes and 1 hour, pleanty of time for home movies and you can use the 512MB chip you buy now for stills.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:41 PM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:

The charging cradle is only worth getting if you also get a 2nd battery. Since the battery life is very good, I did not bother. If you plan on going on extended shooting trips without time or place to charge, then you may want to buy a second battery, and the charger is only necissary if you want to recharge one battery while you use the camera.

As far as chip size, I would get the 512MB for now because the type-M 1gigs are slower, and may lead to choppy video. You can fit 7.6minutes of video on a 512MB at 640x480, or over 15minutes at 320x240. Both are pretty good quality for their resolutions, and are definitely usable for short home videos. I do not believe there is a 1Gig limitation on files with this camera as some others have. It may have a 4gig limitation if it uses FAT32 file storage, which I believe it does, but that should not be an issue. I have a 512MB chip now, and when standard speed 1Gig or 2Gig chips come out, I'll get one to use for video, and use my 512MB for stills. A 2 Gig chip will allow 30/60minutes of video.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 4:59 PM   #9

Thanks for answers.

i Only need max 5 minuts of video and thats was the ONLY reason for getting a 1GB card, but if i can get upto 7min video on a empty 512mb card then i go for 512mb card instead that are Faster and much cheaper .

I may then spend money on a Printer

So i have a question:

I want a cheap printer since i will just print smale photos sometimes not always

Should i get a camera-printer (those you can print without computer)

or should i get a ink-yet printer for the Laptop.

I already have a Epson stylus-750 but since it was so expensive to buy ink to it

it has stayed without being use a long time.

I could get a HP or Canon printer or i could buy just a camera-printer.

The only diference i see is:

1. Camera printer: dont need pc for printing and dont need to cut the photos

2. Pc printer: is cheap , can print out other things than just camera photos

but i have to cut the photos (not that it much of a problem)

Also i could just buy ink for my old epson stylus 750 but where i live

it cost the same buying ink as buying a new printer

and i cant use other than original ink , i usednon-official ink once

and because of this i had to take my printer to repair.

I hope to get a better printer by going away from epson

and getting Hp or canon.

The question is Should i get a Pc printer or camera printer

i think the camera printers are expensive.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 7:04 PM   #10

Whats up with Pcmag reviews

They put Fuji F10 realy down compared to Canon Sd550

i believe the Pcmag are exagerating but some of what they say is true

their rating are wrong , what you think?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1818999,00.asp