Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:44 PM   #1

This may sound dumb but I have dropped a styles 500 2 times and each time I broke it. I need a dig camera which is a bit more durable. Any suggestions?
rizangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:26 AM   #2

In order to answer this I think you need to offer up a bit more information. How much are you looking to spend? What type of shooting do you do? Do you want an DSLR or more of a Point and Shoot?

There are a lot of options out there so you'll have to help us out in narrowing down what you are looking for.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 1:42 AM   #3
E.T

That's why piece of soap shaping shouldn't be used... but well, fashion is just induced epidemic and it doesn't have anything to do with reason.

How about camera with neck strap? Those are much harder to drop if you just use it as meant.

Even though there are some cameras which should be more durable one thing is sure, unless camera isn't inside thick padding optics won't like "G-tests".
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:42 AM   #4

Well after blowing about $600 on repaira and the original price I am willing to egt something more dependable and rugged. I travel a lot so smaller size helps. I am learned in a old Pentex 35mm years ago so a DSLR instead of a point and shoot would be interesting.

As long as it is tougher then my point and shoot Olympus 500 stylus....
rizangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:21 PM   #5

Hmm... I haven't been throwing a lot of cameras to the ground, but there is the general physical laws that the less an item dropping at a certain speed weighs the less kinetic energy it has. As all items accelerate at the same speed in earth gravity... the conclusion is the lighter camera you drop the less energy there is around to do some damage.

Sorry, I can't offer you more insight into this.
mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:36 AM   #6

I can't speak for other models, but I accidentally knockedmyOlympus C8080 from the back of an SUV tailgate to the asphalt pavement of the packing lot. Nothing broke, and it didn't even scratch the body.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote