Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:21 AM   #1

I've been looking to take the jump from my faithful(?) Sony DSC-V1 to my first DSLR for something now. It seems like every couple of weeks a new entry level DSLR comes on the market, which is making my decision all the harder.

I don't have a film SLR so I'm not tied into choosing something to match my lenses, I have a budget of say £1000. Which should cover body, lenses, memory, batteries etc. I'd also like to walk away with some change from that budget

I travel a little maybe 3 to 4 times a year, this is when I take the majority of my pictures, anything from cultural andscenicto wildlife. So I'm looking for something light and robust that doesn't eat power like my DSC-V1, it should also be easy to use and quick.

My current short list is as follows;

Konica Minolta Dynax D5. The anti shake feature is a big draw for me, I don't have a steady hand. I am a bit worried with what I've read about the problems this camera has with contrast in some of the scene modes.

Olympus E500. Just read a review of this and it sounds promising. I can get a great starter kit with 2 lenses for less that £650. My worries here are the lack of lenses available (especially 3rd party) and the 1+ second start up time due to the sonic sensor cleaning (how much power does that drain?)

Nikon D70s. This is my current favourite, it has had some great reviews. I think I may just find it a little daunting, it doesn't have as many 'learner' features the others have.

Canon E350. I've not completely dismissed this one, I just prefer D70s over this one.

Thanks in advance, your comments will be enthusiastically received

iamfisheye (nothing to do with lenses it's a song by the membranes)

iamfisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:11 AM   #2

I am also starting out & went with the Nikon d70s. I decided on that due to comfort & additional flash capabilities. That being said, I don't think you can make a bad choice. I would decide based on how the camera feels in your hand & does it have the critical features you want.

In terms of Oly I think itsa great value.I wouldn't be concerned with the lense selection. I actually think their selection is very good (albeit limitedthird party choices), reflecting their lenses weredesigned for dSLR.I could havebeen happy with 2 or 3 Oly lenses whereaswith Nikon I would need 4 or 5 to cover the same ground.

Hopefully, you can find all your choices in one spot. I think the choice will come to you once you play around with them a bit.

macct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I would be very tempted by the D70s + (soon-to-be-released) 18-200 VR lens. I think that would come in for around £1000 at a lot of retailers.

You could get the Canon 350D + 17-85 IS for around £900.

And the 20D body is being heavily discounted at the moment and you could get the 20D + 17-85 IS for around £1100. That's a pretty good bargain IMO.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4

I bought a KM 5D and I am very happy with, no issue with contrast at all...

As others said though, you really can't go wrong with any of them, especially coming with no baggage in terms of system. They can all make good image, all have decent selection of lens(though now Zeiss might be making Nikon MF lens on the F mount, that sure adds something to that...hmm). and all have their own strength and weakness, and with the price slashing in the last few month, all are great value. Go to your local store and hold them and test them out, and see which suit YOU the best, then go with that.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:47 AM   #5

iamfisheye wrote:
Quote:
Olympus E500. Just read a review of this and it sounds promising. I can get a great starter kit with 2 lenses for less that £650. My worries here are the lack of lenses available (especially 3rd party) and the 1+ second start up time due to the sonic sensor cleaning (how much power does that drain?)
As others have suggested, all the cameras on your list will perform very well, althoughany of them will probably require a learning period since they handle and respond differently to a p&S digicam. Depending on the model, you may also find pictures appearing softer or less saturated straight from the camera since manufacturers often assume that dSLR users want to adjust those things themselves in post processing.

The Olympus lens lineup is actually quite good if you consider made-for-digital lenses; Oly has the largest lineup of dedicated digital lenses, in fact, and more will likely appear this next year. Ask yourself how much coverage you actually need before deciding. Other brand lenses can also be used via an adapter, if you don't mind manual focusing. The 1+ startup time takes no battery power to speak of; assuming you don't leave the LCD on all the time, you can get many hundreds of shots from a single charge. The lack of dust and hot-pixel worries is merely a very nice extra.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 2:06 PM   #6

I would put in a vote for the 5d or 7d minolta. The IS is very nice to have, and to have on every single lens you use for it. Even the primes which is great to have. 50mm 1.4 prime with IS for low light shooting. cant beat that......

I have the 5D and love it. Not noticed any issues with image quality.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote