Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

Well i think its safe to say i've gone through literally almost every single thread in here that had the words "fz20/30" and "minolta a200" pics in it. However, i'm still undecided as to which camera to go for. Each camera has its good/bad aspects , but i'm just very indecisive about which one. The daytime pics each one produces are spectacular. As for night time...well they'll do. I was just wondering out of those 3 cameras which one you would choose.

Btw price isnt really an issue because i have a 200$ gift card to use on whichever camera i want.

I'll be doing a little bit of everything seeing how this will be my first serious camera. Macro/action/night shots/nature
m5b3am3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2

Heres some more FZ20 pics to look at http://www.treknature.com/photos.php...era&id=264I know its all nature but I was impressed with them. I have the FZ20 andsince I live in dreary greyNorthern Ohio Ive yet to get a sunny pic. Most images Ive takenat night indoors with little ambient lighting I have been happy with the wayit performs my oldFuji could never get a focus in these conditions let alone get a decent pic. I found using a bounce flash gets the best results but you can still use no flash with the IS on.

Heres a thread with some of my pics thttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87 the cat on the bottom is with no flash its blurry cause its slightly out of focus, hubby was trying the manual focus and hasnt even used an SLR before.

mnosbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:32 PM   #3

Ya....hoooo! A N O T H E R guy looking at (my favorite) the fz 30. Look, it didn't get a DIWA gold medal by accident. I have owned a minolta, have friends who own the KM latest and greatest, and my FZ30 blows the doors off'em. I had the chance to use my 30 for 30 days to make up my mind and if I wasn't happy I could have returned it. I know you can find other cameras with similair features. I looked long (and longer) t everything I could find, and still chose the FZ 30. The fun factor is over the top with this one. All the controls and features are in common sense easy to use places, it has a very fast and accurate focus, (this is a huge plus) and the big 12X zoom can be made...optically...even bigger when you step the pixel size down to 5, then 3 MP's. Then the zoom jumps up to 19, and 23 X respectively....but that's all well known. Try to get the same arrangement I got, use it for a bit, I'm sure you'll like it. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:46 PM   #4
E.T

Much depends on what do you photograph, is it general photography or is it mostly wild animals/birds.

In first case 28-200mm wins unwide angles hands down.
I have had A200's feature richer predecessor A2 for a year (and one of its predecessor for two years before that) and I do general photography, like landscapes, nature, then some sky phenomenos like thunderstorms, noctilucent clouds and halos. Propably I have taken almost 1/4th of all photos at wider than 35mm (most of these at 28mm) while amount of photos taken with 150mm or longer is 1/10th. So propably you can guess which one I would choose.
(on the other I might be trying to find A2 because of it's superb EVF and control layout)

In macromode you'll get photo from 6 cm (2.4") wide area.

For real night shots you'll need tripod with pretty much all cameras.

And if shorter tele isn't problem you can get good action shots in daylight if you just use right methods, I wouldn't call this as slow target.

More airshow pics

As examples of field of views this was taken with 28mm + 0.8x converter (~22.5mm)

For 35mm field of view take away about one third from height and width, meaning half of images area.
28mm FOV is little over 1/6th narrower.

Here's some more shots.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...35&forum_id=87
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...90&forum_id=87

And merry christmas...

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
even bigger when you step the pixel size down to 5, then 3 MP's. Then the zoom jumps up to 19, and 23 X respectively....but that's all well known.
And it's equally well known that this specie has remarkable ability to leave brains to bed for a time he's somewhere else.
You're touting digital zoom which is pure deceit, fraud, hoax, lie, scam etc. It doesn't bring any new details!

Quote:
The fun factor is over the top with this one. All the controls and features are in common sense easy to use places...
You mean you have fun in surfing through menus.
Having ISO, WB and custom WB in menus is unacceptable if you try to claim throne of ultimate control layout... even more when you have to use button tapping to change those, adjusting those belongs to control dials.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:49 PM   #5

No matter what camera you think you might like, you'll always have a tough time deciding if you rely too heavily on others opinions. We're all very biased! See if you can do what I did to let my own experiences do the deciding. I found a shop who let me purchase my camera, use it for up 30 days and return it for full refund with no hard feelings if I did not like it. Whatever camera you choose, using this method, how can you go wrong? Good luck, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:28 AM   #6

If you can afford it, step up to a lower priced DSLR like the Minolta 5D, Nikon D50
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote