Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:14 AM   #11

@roxydog:
I don't consider your nice baby picture as too soft. After all it was shot at 1/15 at mid tele range (the image stabiliser did a really excellent job) and with the contrast tuned down. For iso 50 it shows a bit too much noise, but what really concerns me are the dead pixels. There are quite a few of them and they show up also in IMG_8737large (the full size version, of course) as well. Dead pixels are not acceptable and you should return this faulty camera.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:48 PM   #12

Thanks Kassandro

I've had the dead pixels for a couple of months now and can't really see them when printing A4 size so was'nt too worried about them - and won't any new camera develop them as well??

Perhaps i should send it back and see if the warranty works

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:49 PM   #13

Dead pixel " are you speaking of the speck on the baby's chin and the one on the chair back to the right? I just want to be sure I understand what you're referencing.
overworkedbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 7:34 PM   #14

In the attachment below you find the most visible dead pixel on the babys skin. Here you see that the dead pixel spreads to neighbouring pixels because of jpeg compression.
roxydog,
you definitely should return the camera. I personally can't tolerate dead pixels and you certainly have the right for a camera without dead pixels. I would accept a dead pixel on the LCD, though, because it doesn't impact image quality. Show Canon the cropped pic below (made with the lossless jpegcrop) and they will certainly send you a new S2.

Attached Images

kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:59 PM   #15

Thanks again Kassandro

I think i willtake it back as they are more noticeable on nightshots printed at A4 - easy to remove but still a bit of a pain. I have read that all digi cams develop dead pixels - maybe some sensors are more prone to it than others - or it may be the environment you use them in that causes it. eg.high temp or electrical?

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:29 AM   #16

Could this be a good reason to get extend warrenties on cameras? I've heard about a lot of dig cameras doing this .. from out of the box.. to extended use.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote