Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:07 AM   #1

:?I just can't seem to decide which camera should I get.

With S2 I will need to buy extra adapter/hood for the use of filters, no histogram and raw format.

With FZ5 very bad movie quality and expensive extra battery needed.

Is it true that the photo quality of FZ5 is better? But S2 has better continuous handling?

Added:
After I go thru the forum it seem that S2 is having few problems like lens stuck and error memory card reading going on with some of the units. Where else I can't seem to find ppl complaining about FZ5 in the forum. :?

silverxme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:56 AM   #2

Gidday Silver

I have both cams and use the S2 more often mainly because of operating speed(changingsettings,ect.)and the swivel screen and movie.As for the histogram - the liveupdate screen and exposure indicator will give a pretty good indication of your pic

The FZ5 is quicker focus and quicker burst mode(for 4 shots)and also when using the alternate focus button there is close to zero lag .Also much lighter to handle.

I think picture quality is in the eye of the beholder- i personally like the punchier colors of the Canon whereas the Pana i think are more natural(duller??)and as to sharpness i can't tell the diff.

Best thing to do is handle them both at the store if you can and see which one suits.

Good luck Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:36 AM   #3

this is my exact dilemma also, between these two cameras... i currently have a casio ex-p600 which is great, but ive kinda outgrown it... the menu'ing system on the casio though is amazing, allowing me to bracket/wb/meter the shots very very easiy, and it also gives me the 'noob' BS settings in case im in a hurry

im not really that technical, i guess the main thing i want is to have some great fun and to take pictures that will impress friends and family...

these both look great cameras, the advantage is the fz5 can be got for £230 atm, whereas the cheapest s2 is ive found is around the £300

thanks for any more help if offered
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:21 AM   #4

Hi,

I share the same problem.

Roxydog, FZ5 or S2 IS, which one is better in terms of taking people photos?

Thanks.
BruceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

I chose between these two models also, and finally bought the FZ5 at buydig.com for under $375.00. The S2SI was about $100 more and I did not think it was worth the extra $$$, which I used to buy some accessories. The other dealbreaker for me was the lighter, compact size of the FZ5 vs. the heavier, bulkier S2SI. Image quality wise, I am very satisfied with the FZ5. It takes sharp, clear photos and battery life is great too. Silerxme, I have to disagree with your comment:

With FZ5 very bad movie quality and expensive extra battery needed.

That has not been my experience with the FZ5 at all. The movie quality is not as good as the S2SI but I did not buy the FZ5 for its movie mode ability. I bought it for its Leica lens, and 12x UZ. And while you may want to purchase an extra battery, the battery life is so good that I have yet to change batteries and I've had the camera since the summer. All I do is recharge it - a very easy, hassle free operation and that's it. I bought an extra battery on eBay for half the price I would have paid elsewhere.

I would handle each model and see which one feels right in your hand. Whichever model you choose, you cannot go wrong, as both are excellent cameras.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:23 PM   #6

Silverxme,

BTW, you can purchase the FZ5 (black) at www.6ave.com for $343.00 + .06 shipping and have it within three days! The silver model is even less - $339.00 but they are currently out of stock.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:15 PM   #7

BruceLee wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I share the same problem.

Roxydog, FZ5 or S2 IS, which one is better in terms of taking people photos?

Thanks.
Hi BruceLee

Hard to say as i'm not a big people photo taker but here is one from the S2

There are a few more fullsizeon my my Flickr gallery from both cams http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:27 PM   #8

[align=left]Fuji Finepix S5200 :-)

ISO can reach an amazing total of 1600, which is very usable in RAW mode. The Canon and Lumix bail out at 400, because they don't handle noise nearly as well (particularly the Z5).

Don't worry about its lack of image stabilization, anti-blur mode is proven to be just as effective, if not more so. It is also compatible with many CHEAP lense filters, even though Fuji doesn't manufacture that many itself.

The movie mode is also very high quality. I'm about to buy myself an S5200 in a few days.

[/align]
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:09 AM   #9

Thanks roxydog, skin tone looks soft in your S2picture.
BruceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:48 AM   #10

Hi BruceLee

I'm open to suggestions as to how to improve my photography non-skills and i still don't know what "soft" refers to even though i have read of it often enough.Is it like when you do a portrait with slightly blurred features on your subject?

Cheers Dom