Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:15 PM   #11

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I can also recommend the Panasonic FZ cameras: FZ5, FZ20 or FZ30
Unfortunately, it looks like only the FZ30 supports Zoom during movie mode, and as a much larger camera, I suspect would also be a bit harder to carry around and keep supplied (memory and batteries). Unless there's something I'm missing?

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:52 PM   #12

DL'd the Canon S2 IS manual, and was surprised to see that it will only let you record video up to 1 GB in size. So even with a 2GB card I'd have to stop every 8-10 minutes and then start up again.

Guess I really need to think hard about how important Image Stabilization is for still photos in deciding between the S2 IS and the Sanyo C6.

Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:38 PM   #13

Have you considered the Minolta Z3/Z5/Z6 or the Canon S2-IS? They take nice pictures and nice videos, lots of zoom, image stabilized, you can use the zoom while shooting video... The Minoltas even allow you to edit your videos in-camera, save individual frames of your videos as JPEG images... A friend of mine was looking for a good digital camera with manual exposure controls, plenty of zoom, and camcorder-like capabilities, and he went with the Minoltas. Myself, picture quality was more important than video stuff, so I went with the Panasonic, but my friend is shooting great videos with his Minolta.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:49 AM   #14

Well, the final determining factor turned out to be that I got a nice-sized Best Buy gift card from my parents for Christmas. Since best Buy carries the Canon and not the Sanyo, it wasn't too hard for me to convince myself to take the S2 IS plunge.

Initial photos at:
http://flickr.com/photos/ewang/

For anyone who wants to see samples from someone who bought the camera two hours before his first shoot :-)