Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:54 AM   #1

My 2 year old 3mp compact is getting a little long in the tooth, and our family video camera just died. So, like many folks, I'm looking at all the still cameras that do video, and the video cameras that do still, and thinking there must be one of them I could buy and be reasonably happy with.

Add in the fact that the family will be doing a trip to the Rockies in July, and I'd like something with a little more zoom and resolution for that :-)

I've looked at the JVC Everio offerings, the Panasonic Lumix LX1, and the Sanyo Xacti VPC-C5 and C6. And trying to figure out if any of these will work for me just from the reviews is driving me bonkers. Since there is no one store I can go to and look at all of these, I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me out.

One of the BIG things I'm looking for is some type of Image Stabilization or Compensation. I have a bit of a tremor, and so something that can take care of that for me without carrying a tripod (that trip to the Rockies will be hard enough) will be important. I'd also like something with at least a 3x optical zoom, and would prefer that it use Flash Memory or a Hard Drive rather than tape.

So, what do y'all think?

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:55 AM   #2

Sorry about the double post...
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:35 AM   #3

Panasonic SDR-S100?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic SDR-S100?
Only review I could find for this (on CNet) seems to imply that I'd get minimal Image Stabilization and somewhat less picture quality than I was hoping for - compared to the reviews I've seen on here for the other cameras. Or perhaps Steve's just better at getting good results from mediocre equipment?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5

Are you looking for compact, ultra-compact only, doesn't matter? Sony's T9 with OIS should be good for stills, so-so for video (MPEG-1), actually wouldn't record much longer than the LX1 (MJPEG).
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Are you looking for compact, ultra-compact only, doesn't matter? Sony's T9 with OIS should be good for stills, so-so for video (MPEG-1), actually wouldn't record much longer than the LX1 (MJPEG).
Size doesn't matter. Price ideally would be under $1000 (US). The Everios mostly fit in this price range, but their stills are supposedly very poor except for the 3 CCD 5MP one, which supposedly has some noise issues. The Sanyo models seem to have a better balance between video and still quality, but don't appear to offer any image stabilization - although with the pistol grip on them I might be able to brace better using both hands. The LX1 has great still capability and image stabilization, but you can't zoom in movie mode.

Seems like the one quality I keep finding is that I can have any two of the three things I'm looking for, but not all of them. Which considering I do project management for a living probably shouldn't surprise me :-)

Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:23 PM   #7

The Sanyo C6 does have digital image stabilization that, of course, only works with movie mode, not stills.

The Canon S2 IS has OIS, great silent12x optical zoom that can be used during it's very good movie mode, flip-out LCD, standard AA NiMHs& SD,only issue is movie recording time will be limited again due to MJPEG, but if you were considering the LX1 that shouldn't be a problem?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:59 PM   #8

Hmmm... yes, it DOES look like the S2 IS has what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Old Dec 22, 2005, 1:50 PM   #9

I can also recommend the Panasonic FZ cameras: FZ5, FZ20 or FZ30, going up in size and weight. These have a fantasic 12x zoom lens,Image stabilization, and are close to SLR image quality. The FZ5 and FZ20 have 5MP, the FZ30 has 8 MP. All are great cams.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I can also recommend the Panasonic FZ cameras: FZ5, FZ20 [...]
I'm not surelow quality 320x240 video without use of the optical zoom makesfor agreat hybrid cameras? But the FZ30 looks good.