Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:32 AM   #1

I'm going to be buying a digital camera from Best Buy. And i was going to see what everyone thinks is the best for my buck. I have like 300 dollar in gift cards there and i can thrrow in some money myself.

I'm looking for a camera that takes sharp image. Also fast without blur so i can catch people in motion and also takes good videos. Iim not really looking for a SLR camera one i can throw in my pocket
syntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:44 AM   #2

My personal favourite is the Sony Cybershot DSC-S60. It has 4.1MP and 3X optical zoom, but costs more than the average 5MP camera. Its Carl Zeiss lense produces brilliant quality stills. The movie mode is also up there with the best of them. In fact, it has the clearest images I have ever seen in the compact point-and-shootclass. You should be able to pick one up for ~$250.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Don't bother with Olympus compacts, they are complete rubbish.
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 5:11 AM   #3

The Canon 610 is 5MP and 4X optical zoom. It's burst mode, which you may want to use to catch people in motion, is among the fastest of the consumer digicams. It has a 640 x 480 movie mode at 30 frames per second up to 1 gig. For shooting moving objects, it has a 320 x 240 mode at 60 frames per second. It has an articulated LCD, also, which is a very handy feature. Almost any camera can shoot fast enough to catch people in motion without blur if there is enough light. If you need to freeze action in an environment that is dimly lit, you'll need a camera like the Fuji F10 which features higher ISO's.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:13 AM   #4

If you buy online from a reputable online retailer (B&H Photo Video, for instance), you will proably save yourself quite a bit of money in comparison to buying the camera at Best Buy.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:39 PM   #5

i would buy online but i have best buy gift cards. But i do have some money myself. What exactly does the megapixels represent. What does 7 do that 5 cant?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

As far as 5 vs. 7 mp, you are unlikely to notice any difference in standard prints at full resolution. Where you would see a difference is on your monitor if it's resolution is good enough, in poster or larger size prints, and most importantly when you crop a photo. Any resolution greater than 2mp is good enough for 4x6 prints (in a quality camera) but it's still nice to have the overhead if you need it. I'd say go down and try out the cameras, that's the best way to see and feel the differences.

I am very happy with my Fujifilm F10 it has great speed and also takes great stills, I've never used the video feature. It is 6.3mp.

One other thing,Best buy does not always honor the web price at the store, unless you know the web price. Double check before you buy, they normally have a 10-15% discount on the web.If you threaten to take your businesselsewhere, the manager will authorize the price cut + 10%.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

Hi!

I am also going to buy a digi cam:roll:. Do you really think that Carl Zeiss lenses makes real difference? Everybody say that it is much better and you had better make choice of it. Lately there are many people refering to Canon A 520 and A610.What do you think about Casio ExilimEX-Z110?Do you think one who expects high resolution pictures and avarage movies will be satisfied with one oftheseand which one is the best?finally i want to ask whether we should give importance to pixels or optic zoom? W

Thanks for your help:-)
baydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 3:38 PM   #8

what's everyone think about the fujifilm F10 is it a good camera? take good pics? how about the video option any good?
Old Dec 24, 2005, 3:46 PM   #9

photographers take photographs, not cameras
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:23 PM   #10

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
photographers take photographs, not cameras
k...back to my question above...anyone own a Fuji F10