Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:45 AM   #11

well besides the wide angle on the s80, do these two cameras virtually take the same quality pictures?:?
CrispyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:25 PM   #12

Couldn't stand it anymore...took the plunge with the A620. Hope I don't regret it!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:46 AM   #13

Crispy Cakes,
well, do you like it? deciding on the same thing!! I am leaning towards S80. A620 alittle noisy to me, but if you love it, I may just save the money!!
Joyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:01 PM   #14

Im very glad i took the plunge. I have been nothing short of amazed by the quality of photos the A620 produces. It feels perfect in hand, and the swivel lcd, while i thought to be useless, has proven to make shots easier and more creative. The s80 I did get a chance to finally handle, but its like holding a brick and way too blocky and cluttered for my taste. Dont get me wrong, the a620 is made of plastic and some parts of it feel cheap, but that isn't what matters, the quality of the images is what matters. The noise is non-existent in any shots ive taken so far at 100 or 50. 200 you can see some in darker areas, and at 400 its there but so is your picture in a decent clarity. Hope this helps your decision.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:08 PM   #15

Glad to see you like it. I'm seriously considering it. How does it perform in low light with and without flash?

Thanks in advance, Randye
randyesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:43 PM   #16

Randye-

With a max ISO setting of just ISO 400, taking photos without flash is going to be rather difficult and show a measurable amount of noise as well.

In contrast the Fuji F-10, which has a max ISO setting of 1600 shows virtually no noise. Here is a no flash photo taken with aFuji F-10 WITHOUT FLASH.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:36 PM   #17

CrispyCakes,

Thanks for asking your question about A620 vs. S80. I have been doing exactly the same research for the past couple of months (holding back the urge to buy) on the same two models.

The last couple of days, I have been totally leaning towards the A620, and after I read everything you wrote and everyonesresponses, I have made up my mind to do the same and buy the A620!

I have also learned that I definitely need to buy a SanDisk Extreme III 1.0 GB SD card to go with it.

Thanksforthe great input!

Want It

Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:43 PM   #18

You only need the extreme card if you are shooting a lot of burst mode shots or a lot of video clips. Why not save some money?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:43 PM   #19

MT,

I love to save money! I am really a complete novice. I had read in reviews to get the highest and fastest card possible. I don't take tons of pictures at one time.

What size card do you recommend? :?

Thanks, and appreciate your input!

Want It
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:29 AM   #20

I recommend the 2gb ultra sandisk. got it for my a620 and i have taken SO many pictures and videos. ive taken over 10 minutes of video, and about 200 shots, still have 1/4 space left. so far from what ive seen, it illuminates areas in the dark very well. i took a picture in a gym tonite, where my friend was fooling around on a ladder. the gym was pitch black, and i was standing a good 10 feet away. the camera focused just as fast as outdoors in light, and illuminated the entire area, looked like the lights were on in the gym! and the picture came out just as crisp as lit photos. i will admit theres is VERY small hints of dark corners from the flash, but u honestly wont even notice it. i think i fell in love with my a620. oh and after all that im still running on the same batteries it came with.

which reminds me, can anyone recommend me rechargable batteries and charger? im looking for 2500 mAh at least, cuz i dont wanna charge too much. also, individual charging cells would be nice (some batteries wont get fully charged if one beats the rest to it and thats annoying)

hope this helped~