Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:13 PM   #1

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and judging by the posts I've seen you guys know what you're talking about more than the other camera forums. I'm in a bit of a mess deciding between these two cameras. After weeks of reading reviews and reading every comment and every "vs" thread on every forum in existence, it has come down to these two cameras.

I've heard good and bad about both cameras, and people really just jump back and forth with these two. I go in one thread and read people praising the S80 (especially professional reviews). Then I go into another and hear how terrible it is. Same thing with the A620. I hear super highs about it, then super lows. So I'm leaving it in your hands. Money is NOT an issue, and I want the camera that for most of the time will be in auto and take the highest quality picture in a variety of settings. I want manual in case I care to get "creative." And I'm assuming they have the exact same movie mode...as all new canons are equipped with the same mode (I know the S80 does 1024x768, but that's a novelty that shows its shortcomings fast). So help me decide! I trust whatever you guys tell me!
CrispyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:27 PM   #2

Dear Crispy Cakes,

I have the S80 so I can give you some pro's and con's and a few things to think about.

Canon S80 Pro's

- very good image quality

- large LCD

- lithium batteryand the capacity to take 100's of photos between recharges.

- excellent flash

- very good lens with a very usable focal length.

Canon S80 Con's

- expensive

- heavy, and barely pocketable.

- max 800 ISO

None of the pocketables, in my opinion, are good on the "creative" side, even though they theoretcially allow you toshoot shutter priority, aperture priority, full manual, etc.

I don't know ifit's the lens, lack of dynamic range, poor high ISO performance, or what, but if you truly want to getcreative,you'd need a DSLR in my opinion.

I'm sure the 620 takes nice shots. The AA batteriesare not a very good feature because the NIMH's lose their charge fast if the camera is sitting around and you always have to carry a second set.

With NIMH batteries, it's charge, charge charge. With lithium batteries, you can be real sloppy about it and not chargeas often, and hardly ever run out.

Also, none of the photo cams take real good videos. Dedicated video cams always out do digicam videos.

If money were not an issue, get a DSLR for creative stuff, and get a little digicam with lithium batteries and manual controls as a second cam.

I have the Canon 20D as a primary, and even I think the S80 is a little bit of overkill for a second cam.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

Wow! Thanks for the speedy and incredibly informative response! When I said creative, I meant little things like light trails and silly stuff, not professionally creative lol. So you're saying the S80 would be the better choice for "close to a DSLR" over the A620?
Old Dec 25, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4

Perhaps for your level of photography the 620 is the better deal.

It's $140 cheaper, a little lighter and smaller, and is definitely a very good camera with very good picture quality.

I'd say you could have a lot of fun and learn with the 620.

-- Terry

Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:53 AM   #5

The 620 might be cheaper, but it is not lighter and smaller than the s80. The 620 is heavier and larger than the s80
mulifat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:09 AM   #6

Muffat,

Your right, the A620 is slightly larger, and probably slightly heavier with batteries.

I would classify neither of them as truly pocketable.

I pocket my S80 but it feels like a slug in my pocket.

A620

Dimensions (HxWxD)
2.6" x 4.1" x 2.0" (66 x 105 x 49 mm)

Weight
8.3 oz. (235 g)

S80

Dimensions (HxWxD)
2.3" x 4.1" x 1.6" (57 x 104 x 39 mm)

Weight
7.94 oz. (225g) camera body only

However, the A620 is $140 cheaper (at B&H), and probably a little more approachable cam.

The A620 gets better ratings at its price point that the S80.

Terry

Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:53 AM   #7

I'm honestly not concerned about price whatsoever. I am already a bit into photography thanks to my last two cameras. I'm looking for the best overall image quality, or the one closer to dslr photo quality.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:18 PM   #8

I had the opportunity to handle the A620 in person today and to be honest I absolutely love the quality of pictures it takes (tested it out minimally in store). Feels a bit awkward in hand, but I could get used to it. Out of the 3 stores I went to, NONE of them had the S80...and I really want to give it a fair trial before I settle on the A620. I'd hate to get the A620, see the S80 somewhere down the road, and regret not picking it up instead.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:27 AM   #9

try the s70. i have a s70. Amazing pictures. and i am sure S80 is much better with pictures.. I like the metering system. The wide angle is so wide that u would start feeling its power...

If given a choice between 620 and s80 i would go for s80 for the extra money u spend u get a superb camera with so many controls..

In the same/or similarprice range there is Canon G6 i would recomment youto take a look at it.

If money is an issue, i would suggest you to go for 610 which has everything except the MP count different from A620. I am sure the extra MP wouldnt make huge difference and u can use the money saved to get urself a good memory card.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:55 AM   #10

Of course it also depends on how you define "pocketable". I found, due to necessity yesterday, that as long as I put the lens end of the camera in first, that I could "pocket" my Canon S2 IS without much difficulty. For roaming around the Riverwalk, that probably isn't too bad. But I can't imagine having that big a bulge in my pocket roaming around my office :-)

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote