Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:35 PM   #1

looking for the best quality camera i can get for 400 dollars and under. thanks
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:59 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you want you under $400.00 dollar camera to do.Two that I really like is the KODAK Z7590 and DX7440 The Z7590 is a good point and shooter with all the settings you need to learn and get great shots for years to come. The DX7440 is a great point and shooter works very well in low light indoor shots within range of the flash. No cam is going to shoot the 50 yard line at night from the 20 yard line with a little built in flash. I have used both of those rigs and like them alot. I do not own either of them. I do have the older version of the Z7590 that is the DX7590. I also have the KODAK DX6340 that is no longer made and the Sony P10 . One other thing I found with the brands of cameras I have had KODAK has given me the best service after the sale. NIKON and SONY have done well and CANON has treated me poorly.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:16 AM   #3

There are lots of good cameras for less than $400. It would help if you said wanted what you wanted it for. Macro (close up) shots? Landscapes? Do you want something you can stick in your shirt pocket? Tell us more, and we can give you better advice.

I have a Fuji FinePix S5200. It has a 10X optical zoom, 5 megapixel top resolution. It does better than most point and shoot cameras in low light. You can get it for about $300 online.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:21 AM   #4

Hey robbo, I was really hesitant, but I've gone with the Fuji S5200 and I am picking it up tomorrow. Huge relief!

I know that the quality is very decent outdoors in natural lighting, but are indoor portraits just as bright and sharp?
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:25 PM   #5

The S5200 is not perfect, but I think it is a very good camera for the price. It doesn't have stabilization, but it does have better than average high ISO performance. Yeah, I think its indoor portraits are usually pretty good.

Go to CNET for a review: http://reviews.cnet.com/Fujifilm_Fin...-31528983.html

Good luck with your camera. Read the manual in order to get best use of it.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:44 PM   #6

Rob I'm not sure just what one is best. With so many good cameras in the market today. I do know that image stabilization is not the answer that some think it is. I have a tripod and it works well. I have a rig with IS and it will never replace the tripod. One other thing that I have come tounderstand, is thatservice means as much to me as the camera itself. The best brand with the best options breakdown. It's what the brand does for me after the breakdown that gets my money when buying another.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:20 PM   #7

I agree with you completely. I am not saying that the S5200 is the best, just that it suits my purposes well. I got my dad a Kodak P850, which does have stabilization. More important for my dad, who is just getting into digital photography, it has a big LCD and is fairly easy to use. However, others wouldn't like that camera because of its relatively slow autofocus in dim light.

I had a Panasonic C-2100 UZ four years ago. 10X optical zoom. 2.1 megapixels. Image stabilization. It was awesome at that time. However, I paid over $700 for it. The people who are just getting into telephoto digital photography are, on the whole, getting awesome deals. They have so many good choices available and at much lower prices than even 2 or 3 years ago.

As for Fuji's service, I found it less than responsive at the local level, but great at the national level, when I called up and explained the urgency of my request (due to an impending move overseas).
Old Dec 27, 2005, 4:55 PM   #8

You can also get a Panasonic FZ5 for under $400. Compared to the Fuji, it has a wider field of view at telephoto AND more zoom (the Panasonic is 35-420mm equivalent, the Fuji is 38-380), a slightly faster lens, and IS. Disadvantages are that its high-ISO image quality is pretty bad, its movie quality is also not too good, and it's powered by proprietary batteries. (Well, it's debatable whether that last one is a disadvantage, but anyways). I'm a big fan of Panasonic's cameras, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, although I admit that FZs aren't perfect for everyone.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote