Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:35 AM   #11

Mtclimber,

Bought the E-500 Twin lens kit in the end went and played with all of the Dslr's in this price range and it just felt "right"

Just got to learn how to use it properly now and I'll be set!

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:38 PM   #12

[email protected] wrote
Quote:
The KM 5D has average performance, really, in terms of responsiveness. Anybody who's used a DSLR knows that turn on time and shutter lag are an absolute drag, as well as waiting for the buffer to clear.

I have had the good oppurtunity to have full-time access to all of the cameras mentioned...I always choose the 5d.

The Rebel xt is not as good as everyone hypes it up to be. I think it is crap. For me its the KM 5d hands down. It is simply a 7d packed into a tighter package. just pick up the rebel and the km and you can feel the difference in terms of build quality and see the difference when you look through the viewfinder.

In terms of the 5d "responsiveness", it is fine. I have never missed a shot, and the buffer has never been filled. I shoot sports, weddings, and just about everything under the sun with the 5d. My boss the other day showed me the canon 5d, and while i thought i could use its extra boost, the km 5d is really all you need.
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:47 PM   #13

Sounds like your happy with your 5D, for sure.

I shoot sports primarly, and I often rub shoulders with the Boston Globe, Boston Herald photogs and the Patriot Ledger, which are the largest papers in Massachusetts and very large by New England standards.

I've also had the benefit of shooting along side some Sports Illustrated stringers in New York.

By and large, they all use Canons. I saw one guy using a Nikon, and he told me he wish he had a Canon.

Primarily I see them shooting with 1D and 1Ds's, and maybe a 10D or a 20D backup body strung around their neck with a shorter lens for closeup action.

Some photogs are out there with the old 10D's still.

I met one guy shooting with a Nikon and he said he wanted to upgrade to a Canon. I asked him why but I can't remember his answer.

I have never seen a newspaper person with a minolta or an olympus (well, except one who had an Olympuspoint and shoot because that's all his editor would buy him).

So anyways, I don't think the Globe, Heradl, Patriot Ledger, and stringers for Sports Illustrated are deluded.

Nothing wrong with the 5D, I wish I had one.

But my next upgrade from the 20D will likely be the 20D replacement in a few years time. And hopefully my Canon lenses will come along for the ride.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:48 PM   #14

Sounds like your happy with your 5D, for sure.

I shoot sports primarly, and I often rub shoulders with the Boston Globe, Boston Herald photogs and the Patriot Ledger, which are the largest papers in Massachusetts and very large by New England standards.

I've also had the benefit of shooting along side some Sports Illustrated stringers in New York.

By and large, they all use Canons. I saw one guy using a Nikon, and he told me he wish he had a Canon.

Primarily I see them shooting with 1D and 1Ds's, and maybe a 10D or a 20D backup body strung around their neck with a shorter lens for closeup action.

Some photogs are out there with the old 10D's still.

I met one guy shooting with a Nikon and he said he wanted to upgrade to a Canon. I asked him why but I can't remember his answer.

I have never seen a newspaper person with a minolta or an olympus (well, except one who had an Olympuspoint and shoot because that's all his editor would buy him).

So anyways, I don't think the Globe, Heradl, Patriot Ledger, and stringers for Sports Illustrated are deluded.

Nothing wrong with the 5D, I wish I had one.

But my next upgrade from the 20D will likely be the 20D replacement in a few years time. And hopefully my Canon lenses will come along for the ride.

-- Terry

Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:09 PM   #15

oh no dont get me wrong. i totally agree with you on Canon. it was the rebel xt i disagreed with you about.

i think the 10d/20d/5d are AWESOME cameras (well the 10d is a bit old now). but i disagreed with you when you rated the xt higher than the km 5d in that class only. thats all.

everyone knows that canon definetely is ahead of the game when it comes to the 5d/20d in their respective classes. but the km 5d beats the pants off the rebel xt in its class (in my opinion of course). just ask the webmaster of this site.

there is no way I can compare the km 5d and the canon 5d. clearly the canon is much more advanced and way ahead of its time. but i turned it down simply because i myself thought i did not need it , and the upgrade was not worth my next paycheck, and I am already used to AP-S sensors...but thats another story altogether. : )
photov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:50 PM   #16

thats cool photov.

I do get the sense that Canon blew it a little with the Rebel XT in terms of ergonomics.

As I recall, they fashioned the original Drebel after the Rebel filmi camera body, which was a bit of a nightmare.

I give top marks to Minolta for usability.

I have the Miinolta Maxxum 5 which, in my mind, was a mind blowingly smart small film cam.

Hats off the Minolta for doing a great job on the 5D.

-- Terry