Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:36 AM   #1

Hi All. As I stated above, I'm looking for a good indoor low-light camera that can handle fast outdoor sports (soccer). I currently have a Fuji S602 which takes great outdoor pictures, but severly lags with the indoor low-light shots. I take pictures of my kids in karate, dance, basketball and volleyball as well as soccer. I don't think I have one good indoor shot of any of my kids. I don't have an external flash, and don't really want to carry around a tri-pod. My Fuji is a 3 MP, but I would like to bump up to at least a 5 MP. Video is not important to me at all. I would say that I amjust below anintermediate photographer. As for zoom...the higher the better??? I would appreciate any direction you could point me in. I would also like to stay around the $400'ish point. (a little over might be ok).

Thank you all for your time!

Ang
Angela Pasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:51 AM   #2

Sounds like you need a dSLR to me. If that is just more than you want, take a look at the Fuji S5200/S5600.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3

The closest thing I could recommend in your price range is a Panasonic FZ20 with a good zoom flash attachment. It is f2.8 at full zoom, and a good zoom flash will reach out to 60 feet. I have a Vivitar zoom flash that cost about $80 delivered and has excellent reach.

If you are absolutely against using an external flash for indoor action you might consider the Fuji S5200 or S9000. I haven't seen good reviews yet on the S5200 and don't know how well the higher ISO works. The S9000 and perhaps other Fuji cameras seem to benefit from good software noise reduction for high ISO. If you don't want large blowups, ISO 800 or even 1600 might give acceptable shots.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:07 PM   #4

Thanks slipe, maybe I should consider adding an external flash for my s602 first. Do you have any experience with the s602?
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:42 PM   #5

Angela-

A viable alternative would be the Fuji S-5200. It has high ISO capability, a reasonable price, and a very handy size. It might be worth a look.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:54 PM   #6

Thanks MT I will definitly take a look at it, but I do have a concern with owning another Fuji. What makes the 5200 a better indoor/low-light camera than the s-602 that I now have. The S-602 has an ISO of 1600 which of course drops the MP down to 1 and the pictures aren't that good. I just checked Steve's reviews, and noticed that the 5200 isn't there. I'm gonna have to check the net and see if I can find some reviews on it...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ang
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:05 PM   #7

Ang-

The Fuji S-602 (I know as I own one) is only able to use ISO 1600 at much reduced resolution setting, whereas the Fuji S-S-5200 can use ISO 1600 at it FULL RESOLUTION. It is as simple as that.

MT
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:05 PM   #8

Ang-

The Fuji S-602 (I know as I own one) is only able to use ISO 1600 at much reduced resolution setting, whereas the Fuji S-S-5200 can use ISO 1600 at it FULL RESOLUTION. It is as simple as that.

MT
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:50 PM   #9

Well just as an example, here is one I took from the back of a church (my daughters Choir Christmas thing). I was using a monopod, natural light mode, and this is a full optical zoom shot. I only resized and reduced the file size. I had only had the S5200 3 days at this point. EXIF says ISO 400 1/210's

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:27 AM   #10

Fofa, that's a great shot! I never get anything like that and that is exactly the kind of setting my kids performances are in. Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but you said natural light...that mean no flash of any kind?

Ang