Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:25 PM   #1
gcb

I'm looking for a camera for my dad that will mainly be used for landscapes and other outdoor activities; not too many action photos, not many indoor or portraits. He needs one with a large screen, maybe 2.5" or so. He doesn't need one that's too complicated or has too many settings. He's wanting to spend $400 or so, and loves his 35mm Fuji, so he wouldn't mind sticking with them. I have a Fuji and don't like it, so he doesn't HAVE to get one by them. What do you all suggest? Thanks
gcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:38 PM   #2

You might want to take a look at the Fuji F-10. It was one of the outstanding digital cameras of 2005.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

The F10 has a bad auto mode. It is a great low light camera, but that's not what you want. I have one and I dont recommend it.

Maybe the Sony H1? The Olympus 7070? Canon A620 or S80? Good luck!
lord_ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:48 PM   #4

Does he want something with a lot of zoom? Or maybe something very small and compact that he can carry in his pocket? Or something in between that has a very high resolution?

Most Casio cameras are very small, VERY easy to use, and have big screen. I think they're among the ideal First Digital Cameras. So I'd consider getting something like a Casio EX-Z57 (but other EX-Zs would be good too, like the EX-Z110 and Z120 (higher resolution), Z750 (manual exposure controls, fastperformance,and other nice features), Z55 and Z50 (older), etc). These Casios tell you (with images and text on the huge screens) exactly what the camera is doing in each situation (if you change the scene modes) and what you ought to do to take the best picture.

The HP R717 also has great beginner features, likeelectronically touching up pictures taken intough lighting situations, or analizing a picture you took and suggesting what you can do to make it better.

The Canon A620 might not be quite so beginner-friendly, but it offers the most resolution and features for the price, takes good pictures, and has 4x zoom (the others have 3x).

And if more zoom would be nice, the Fuji S5200/S5600 and the Panasonic FZ5 are the definite recommendations in the $400 range.

More info at

http://www.airshowfan.com/guide-to-d...-cameras-2.htm

I hope that helps.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:15 PM   #5

For landscapes he probably wants wide angle capability unless he wants to stitch panoramas. The choices are limited in your price range.

The Canon S60 might be worth a look. Very good little camera if he wants small and well within his budget. It doesn't have a large screen though. The S80 is just a little over your budget at $442 delivered and has a large screen.

The Konica Minolta A200, Olympus 8080, Fuji S9000 and Nikon 8400 are all large cameras with wide angle, but are all out of the stated price range.

If he doesn't need wide angle the Casio Z120 is a great little camera for the price. It has a much better menu system than the Canon A620, but the Canon has a little longer zoom and might be easier to handle because it is larger.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:14 PM   #6

You might take a look at the Kodak EasyShare P880 as well.

Having 24 mm must be nice for "landscaping", plus: it even has RAW which is quite uncommon for a Kodak cam.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:54 PM   #7

For less than $400 try the Z7590 Kodak or if you can find one a DX6490 or a Z740. Any of them will work great for landscapes as well as indoors.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:49 PM   #8

GCB-

The Kodak P-880 is an excellent suggestion. You might also want to take a look at the Nikon 8400 as well. Both cameras provide a 24mm wide angle, which is very desireable in Landscape Photography.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote