Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:45 AM   #11

Wow! Even MORE to check out. My poor little ADHD brain! I will check out each of these... in order by price, then physical size, then everything else. After posting this, I read the review on the optio 750 on dpreview.com. They found some pretty serious flaws. Haven't checked out the rest yet.

I also have the option to buy ANOTHER Optio 555. there are a very few new ones floating around out there. I think the least expensive is around $350, all the way up to over $500. I just feel like there must be enough improvements in technology that I shouldn't get stuck at one level if I can do better. Tempting though...

Okay, I'm off again to check out your suggestions.

Are you a tennis pro? my husband used to be. :-) Red Sox are a little more important than tennis these days, as my brother owns the team ... but we sure did love tennis in the Connors/Borg/Nastasi days.

Later,

A.
angielittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:59 AM   #12

I just checked out the site- you have done really well with those photos. This is just my opinion on the matter, but I think you'd be better off getting a more recent camera.

So as I have said, unless you disagree, the Optio SV or the Exilim Z120 (or Z110 if you can't afford the aforementioned) seem to be the best cameras matching your criterea.

I wouldn't say that I'm a tennis expert :-). I own http://www.tennis-forums.com and have been working on getting more members recently. I am looking foward to taking some photos at the Australian Open this year.
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:38 PM   #13

Your photo album looks great. Why not consider the Fuji F-10 or the FujiS-5200/S-9000 cameras, all of which are highISO capable.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:20 PM   #14

I'm excited about checking out these cameras. I will look at every one mentioned here... except the ones I can't put in my pocket. I've been overwhelmed with the holidays...

Tennis... I like your site! Joined up, but haven't had time to get involved. You need a little Edwin on your site!!! :-) You know anything about Newk? He brought his tennis ranch to the country club YEARS AGO where my husband was the tennis pro. Hee hee.

Happy New Year, everyone!I will come back with comments on the cameras. Like Tennis said [... I soooo want another Optio 555... it is such a perfect "fit" for me] but I have to believe the technology has improved too much not tomove forward.

Angie
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:43 AM   #15

Oh Angie, you'll be pleased to know that I checked out the Casio Exilim Z120, and I read some user reviews on Amazon.com. Its average rating from 33 reviews (?) is 5/5, and I have yet to read one bad thing about it.

It is supposedly ultra-fast and has fantastic battery life (if the correct batteries are used). It is also only the size of a deck of cards- you'll barely notice it in your pocket. It should be easily in your price range too, which is amazing for a 7.1mp camera.

I mentioned before that the Z110 had 5mp, but it actually has 6.1, so you might be interested in that model if you can't afford the Exilim Z120.

I hope you can decide on a good camera anyways!
Thankyou very much for joining my site, I've taken a good look around yours too. The photos are brilliant! I could recommend Edwin to some of our members too :G
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:22 AM   #16

Tennis...

Can't believe you said all that; good timing. I was wavering. I was editing some photos to send off in hopes of getting them onEM's new CD too. I looked over at Larry and said, "This is my passion... these photos for Edwin and his band. What happens if I get a different one, and it isn't as good? Even if it IS good, I am sooo tuned to the one I have... I know exactly how to get the look I want. But I need to move forward." His answer was, "Get the one EXACTLY like you have." I said, "And what happens if THAT particular 555 isn't as great as the one I have?"

I made a decision: I am definitely going to do what you said... go forward.Whatever camera I choose... I'll have to purchase it where I can return it if it doesn't work out. Most of the good camera shops... even the discount chains... allow returns. I will try to get out this week and get started. Edwin usually tours about 300 nights a year, but is taking off 2 months! That gives me plenty of time to get set with a new camera.

Thanks again for this site! You have all been so kind to put up with my questions. I know it shouldn't be that important [which camera I buy]. But we have to be VERY careful how much we spend... and whatever I get - - - well, It will be the last one I can buy for YEARS! I'll post back and let you know what I check out. Obviously, I'm going to look at the Exilim Z120 first. I haven't heard you mention if it has an audio mode. I sometimes record the sound only at concerts. The 555 is AMAZINGLY clear to be a camera! Again, I'll let you know. I'm going to jump over to dpreview.com and see if there is a review there.

Thanks for the kind comments about the photos on my site. I need to get the new site up. You'll REALLY be impressed with the pix on the new one!

A. Here's another glowing example of the 555. My first GORGEOUS grandchild, Mandi:

Well, that doesn't show so well here, but it is an awesome photol :sad:

Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:13 AM   #17

That is a nice shot. In fact, all of them are. I can understand why you are so reluctant. But as you said, the new camera will not be a replacement, it will simply be a back-up for when you need it. If it's even better than your 555, just think of it as a bonus.

So anyways, have a look around, you might even find something better than the Exilim and the Optio. I know whatever decision you make will be a good one, so you have nothing to worry about.

As for the audio mode, I'm actually not really sure. I do know that it has excellent video capabilities, but that's all I know about that area for now.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:19 AM   #18

I am on the Casio site right now. I am sooo impressed with the z750... and now seeing the tiny s500.... hmmm. This is going to be hard, isn't it? Having fun... making index cards of features of all of them. :? This could get interesting! THANK YOU!!!!!
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:08 AM   #19

Did a comparison on Z-120 +z750 +s500 on the Casio site. Here's the scoop:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I ruled out the z120 & z 110 immediately, as it saysthey use AA Batteries. Used to have a Canon that used them and they were horrible. I'm spoiled with the battery life of the 555.

On the z750 and s500, they retail for $399/$349. That could get close unless I can find at discounts. LOVE they all have 8+MB built in memory! And they use the same SD cards as my 555. They both have LCD screens, but the s500 does not have an optical viewfinder. Don't know how important that is. Does that meanyou only have the LCD? What do you do on a day that is too bright to see it well? Megapixels for each 7.5/5. Here is a biggie: Macro focus beginning at 2.3"/6.7". Quite a difference, huh? Yes, I also use the macro feature on mine.

Mr. Tennis and others... These 2 cameras are pretty cool. I will run a comparison on the other ones you suggested. Meanwhile......... Any negatives you guys can see with these 2 cameras that I can't? If I had to choose this instant, I'd go with the z750 because of all of the extras on it. IMPRESSIVE. Wouldn't have found this without your suggestion!

http://exilim.casio.com/index.cfm?fu...omparison.homeGreat for comparing all of the Casio cameras.

A.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:39 AM   #20

oJust let me tell you something on the AA issue. If you get an Nimh charger and battery set for $15~ the battery life well exceeds that of a Lithium one. Also, if you use a lithium-ion battery, you'll be wanting a spare, which can cost $100 on some models.

I wouldn't worry too much about AA's, I'd see them as a plus actually. I used to own a Canon that wouldn't get one shot from AA's, but my Fuji gets 400 easily. So, I'd say that your Canon was dodgy, as was mine.

Be careful of some Casios, not all are as good as the Z120.

Edit- Most good cameras have quality LCD's that reflect sunlight well!