Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:57 AM   #21

If you want good, honest and harsh reviews, visit CNET.com- they barely get it wrong.

They gave the Z750 7.6/10 (very good), which is great by their standards.

So here is the CNET overview-
Very good 7.6 Average user rating: 7.8 The good: Ultracompact design; big, bright 2.5-inch screen; satisfying set of manual controls; useful video modes; solid overall performance; commendable image quality. The bad: Sluggish burst mode; can't charge battery or off-load photos without using the dock.
The bottom line: The Casio Exilim EX-Z750 marries form and function with a great design and satisfying manual controls.

And the S500 falls slightly shorter at 7.0/10

Very good 7.0 Average user rating: 7.8

The good: Tiny, attractive form factor; above-average feature set for its class; excellent selection of scene modes; ability to record and save 999 of your own Best Shot scene modes; solid performance.
The bad: Average image quality; above-average visual noise; antishake system appears to bump ISO (and noise) to unacceptable levels; no optical viewfinder.
The bottom line: This camera will make a great companion for snapshot photographers who like to travel light but don't want to make large prints.

The Z120 is yet to be reviewed by Cnet.com.

AND ANOTHER SUGGESTION- The Canon Powershot SD500

Very good 7.2 The good: Very well designed; the best start-up time in its class; quick shot-to-shot performance; novel fast frame-rate movie mode. The bad: More frequent than usual purple fringing; longish flash shot-to-shot times.
The bottom line: A very well-designed, 7-megapixel snapshot camera. Just don't look for advanced controls.
I hope that clears things up a bit!

tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:13 AM   #22

Okay, I'ts after 4 a.m. so this will be quick. At your suggestion, I went back to compare the z750 and z120. Here's what i found... and a question.
  • 750 has an additional new MPEG4 movie mode.Won't this be more popular as time goes on? [/*]
  • 750 cradle w/DC in vs. usb & AA [/*]
  • 750 = 8x digital zoom vs. 4x digital zoom... sometimes needed... [/*]
  • 750 has full manual mode and 120 does not?? [/*]
  • 750 = 2.36" vs. 3.8" macro. Use macro for other things [porcelain "marks" [/*]
  • 750 = 2.5" LCD vs. 2.0 [/*]
  • 750 slightly smaller and lighter
[/*]
Now for the question. That KenRockwell.com site pointed out that the lens is better on the 750. Here is the diff per Casio's site. Is this important?

750 = 7 lenses in 8 groups

120 = 7 lenses in 5 groups

His summary is: for non-professionals, the 120 is the best deal money-wise. The 750 is for the more serious photographer.

Any thoughts on this? Man, I'm learning so much by comparing cameras!

a.

Edited: Wow. You were posting that LONG message as I was posting mine. Honestly, it sounds like either one would do what I need... the 120 or the 750. The main thing seems to be the manual control and maybe the lenses??? I don't think I'm going to even LOOK at the Canon. :-)
angielittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:28 AM   #23

OK, I'll see if I can wrap up those feature comparisons

MPEG4 vs. AVI- Quality will be very similar, AVI may even be better, MPEG4 is just more compressed, therefore not taking up as much space.

Cradle vs. USB/AA- The cradle is needed whenever you connect to the computer, so if you are on the road, you'll need to take the cradle with you to transfer photos. Also, the internal battery will eventually wear out, where as the AA's can be replaced cheaply.

Digital Zooms- I wouldn't really consider this when comparing, just a marketing gimmick really. Digital zoom is really just cropping the imaging, but worsening the quality in the process.

So having said all that, the Z750 still has a few features to edge out the Z120. According to a few sources (including PCmag), the Z120 has slightly better image quality (Z750 has a tendency to under-expose), but if you value the Z750's extra features and slightly smaller size, go for that one.

So basically
Casio Exilim Z750- more features/smaller
Casio Exilim Z120- slightly better image quality and maybe cheaper
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:31 AM   #24

Last comment tonight. :?

Here is the conclusion of the 750review on dpreview.com. Honestly, the comment about the underpowered flash is disturbing, as I use it a LOT at the concerts. 95% of my concert photos are flash. I don't think I have read that anywhere else, have you?

They haven't reviewed the z120.
Quote:
Z750 Review:
Overall conclusion
Given that the majority of ultra-compact 7 megapixel cameras share the same CCD sensor, have similar lenses and processors, and have enough pixels that any small differences in resolution and noise will only be visible when you produce big enlargements, it is perhaps unsurprising that they produce very similar results when printed at 'normal' sizes. Where the differences do show is in areas such as exposure, color and dynamic range, and often choosing between one model and another comes down to little more than personal taste. Handling, design and 'add on' features are also important when attempting to choose one model over another, and in this latter area the EX-Z750 is a clear winner.

It's a surprisingly rewarding camera that manages to squeeze a lot of features into its tiny body, and - just as importantly - makes using the wealth of controls and features as easy as possible given the lack of surface area for extensive external buttons or switches. It's fast, easy to use, and reliable, with very few focus or exposure problems (save for the occasional metering error in scenes with lots of contrast or large areas of sky). In the final assessment the EX-Z750 has a bigger feature set than any of its pocket-sized competitors and has a very impressive movie mode with some pretty advanced options thrown in for good measure.

On the downside there are only two serious problems - the ludicrously over-processed appearance of shots taken at the default settings (something you can at least fix by tweaking the sharpness, contrast and saturation) and - more seriously - the woefully underpowered flash. Pocket cameras like this are used in social situations requiring flash, making the poor performance all the more unfortunate. So, if you want a camera that allows you true control in a very compact body, there can be no other choice, and if you rarely use flash you'll find little to complain about. In fact I'm going to stick my neck out here and - even with the underpowered flash - put my money on the Casio EX-Z750 as the best ultra-compact 7 megapixel on the market today for the serious photographer. Perfect? No. Very impressive? Certainly.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:34 AM   #25

OK, just quickly as I said, the Z750 underexposes quite a bit, so you might a few washed out or "white" shots.

But overall, I think you were right about the Z750- go for it :-)
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:41 AM   #26

You are a gem. How can I thank you for all of this??? Wow. I keep wondering if they are going to kick me off of here for asking too many questions! I'm serious!

I will go for the Z750 as my first choice, as long as it stays within my budget. I'll have to check out the "underpowered flash" issue. Obviously, thanks to you, the z120 will be the 2nd choice if I can't afford the other or the flash is too weak.

I WILL report back soon.

............... apparently I can override the exposure setting that would result in white pix.

Whew!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:56 AM   #27

Hehe. It's quite an attracive camera too. Have fun buying!

Talk to you some other time
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:18 AM   #28

Hmmmm, 30 concerts a year by 300 shots a time = 9000 just for concerts alone, you shoot only in auto, the solution is simple in your case and that is the Fuji F10 which is the ONLY non DSLR that can use low light ISO 1600 which is ideal for your situation and it will fit in your purse, check out dpreview for samples. Good luck.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:30 AM   #29

Tennis Forums-

It is only a minor point, however:

Underexposure BTW produces dark or black images, while OVEREXPOSURE produces washed out or white-ism images.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:59 AM   #30

Thanks, Wirraway...

Just checked it out. Here are my concerns with the F10
  • AE compensation... which I use frequently... is apparently buried in the menu system.[/*]
  • 3-shop limit in continuous mode!!![/*]
  • no optical viewfinder, which may or may not bother me, but I do use the one on my Optio 555 pretty often. Old age/bad eyes. :lol:[/*]
  • ALthough most of the time, I don't need manual settings, I do at times us them. I would like to get better at using manual settings, rather than stay in this rut of using an automatic program mode. The manual choices are few.
[/*]
On the good side, it uses the same battery as my 555, which tells me it will last FOREVER on a single charge... and, of course, the ISO 1600.

Don't think I can live with the issues bulleted above.

A.