Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:02 PM   #41

I found another camera you might like! (Sorry, I know I've made so many suggestions). The Canon Powershot SD-550.

Steves Digicams have a review of this model, and the lense quality is apparenlty great, the image quality, fantastic. I also found that the flash reaches 16ft at wide angle. The movie mode is also very nice....

You seem to be great at researching models, so if you can find anything wrong with this one :lol:
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:15 PM   #42

I'm wondering if you are doing this for fun. Hmmmm. :? My brain hurts. Nawwww... I love it.

The problems with the SD500 and are still problems with the SD550. All I did was go to DPReview.com and put the 555, the sd500 and the sd550 all in the same table to compare. I think if you try this link, the table of all three will be there:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

I am going out today, but I have no model to look at the I think might work. IT looks like I should wait. Where are the ones that measure up to mine?

Ang
angielittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:51 PM   #43

Question:Are therewebsites that features RUMORS of new items due to come out? Anywhere I could look to see if they even plan on introducing a camera that would fit my needs??? An ultra-compact, w/manual control, great new video capabilities, at least 5x zoom... blah blah blah. You guys know what I need by now. I'm about to give up.

:whack:

Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:09 AM   #44

[align=right][/align]

I FOUND IT ! ! ! YES!!! Now, how do I find out when and how much?

Another Pentax... still only 3x zoom, but has everything else I want PLUS, it is an 8MP camera. I have a 5MP. FLASH RANGE 16'. 2.5" LCDYipeeee. Now, can I afford this? I hope so. anyone know anything more? Check out this: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...pentax_a10.asp

PANASONIC... 5MP & 6MP , both with 6x optical zoom. good flash range, etc. Not quite happy with video choices though. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasoniclz5.asp

And.... for the Fuji lovers... still not a 4 or 5x zoom. But wait till you see the 3" LCD. Wow. Flash range is not up to the Pentax, but better... http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010403fuji_v10.asp

If you click on the first link above, you can then click on NEXT at the top of each page and see ALL the new ones annouced since Tuesday.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
News release says this will be their high-end of the Optio line. Shipping February, 2006 for under $350!!!! Can this get any better?

Okay, Tennis and every person here that has been helping me... I will scram and give you some peace & quiet. All I respectfully ask is so you see any negatives for my needs with this camera?

http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/...icleId=7315368

Pentax Optio A10 specifications

Sensor

• 1/1.8" Type CCD
• 8.32 million pixels total
• 8.0 million effective pixels

Image sizes
• 3264x2448
• 2592x1944
• 2304x1728
• 2048x1536
• 1600x1200
• 1024x768
• 640x480

Movie clips
• 640x480
• 320x240
• 30 fps based on image signal at 20fps
• With sound and anti-shake

File formats

• Still: JPEG
• Movie: AVI
• Sound: WAV

Lens
• 38-114mm (35 mm equiv) 3x optical zoom
• F 2.8-5.4

Image stabilization
Shake Reduction system

Digital zoom
Up to 4x

Focus
TTL contrast detection autofocus system with AF spotbeam

AF area modes
• 5-point multi AF
• Spot AF
• Tracking AF switchable

AF assist lamp
Yes

Focus distance

• Normal: 0.35m to infinity
• Macro: 0.12m - 0.4m at full wideangle setting
• Super macro: 0.06 - 0.15 m at full wideangle setting

Metering
• Multi
• Center-weighted
• Spot

ISO sensitivity
• Auto
• ISO 50
• ISO 100
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
• ISO 800 in Candlelight mode

Exposure compensation
• +/-2 EV
• 1/3 steps

Shutter speed
1/2000 - 4 secs

Aperture
F2.8 - 5.4

Modes
Program

Scene modes

• Auto
• Night Scene
• Voice recording
• Landscape
• Flower
• Portrait
• Sport
• Surf & Snow
• Candle light
• Food
• Pet
• Text
• Frame composite

White balance
• Auto
• Daylight
• Shade
• Tungsten
• Fluorescent
• Manual

Self timer
Yes

Continuous shooting
Yes

Flash
• Built-in auto flash
• Modes: On, off, soft flash, red-eye reduction
• Range: 0.06m - 5m (w) (sensitivity Auto), 0.35m - 2.5 m (t) (sensitivity Auto)

LCD monitor
• 2.5" TFT LCD
• 232,000 pixels

Connectivity
• USB
• AV out
• DC in

Print compliance
• DPOF
• PictBridge
• PIM III

Storage
• SD card
• 24 MB internal memory

Power
• Rechargeable D-LI8 lithium-ion battery
• Optional AC adapter

Weight
• 125 g (4.4 oz) (unloaded)
• 145 g (5.1 oz) (loaded)

Dimensions
89 x 55 x 23 mm (3.5 x 2.1 x 0.9 in)

Thanks, Angie

Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:14 AM   #45
Administrator

angielittle wrote:
Quote:
[align=right][/align]If you click on the first link above, you can then click on NEXT at the top of each page and see ALL the new ones annouced since Tuesday.

Or (since we happen to be a Digital Camera Site), follow the Breaking News link on our main page to the CES Report, and you can see all of the newly announced models here, too.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/ces2006_index.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:28 AM   #46

Jim, you can smack me for not looking there first. I found your forum LONG, LONG AGO, and have visited here ... as a lurker... a thousand times. Okay, I admit it. I didn't know you had news items, too. Please forgive. I knew the URL of stevesforums.com and had never found steves-digicams.com. You guys have been so great about helping me.

Jim, you are the one who pointed out the flash distance being one of the most important things I should check out... even more than just the MP and power of the zoom. But some of the things you mentioned in the same post were over my head. I did say I would learn it all, and I will. But meanwhile, would you help me out one more time and check the specs of the new A10and see if you again see something I didn't see. If you don't have time, I understand.

For whatever it is worth, I have been telling EVERYONE to come to this site to get advice. Now I have more to check out with the part I didn't know about. Sorry for the oversight.

Best regards and sooo much appreciation,

Angie

Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:29 AM   #47
Administrator

No problem Angie...

It never ceases to amaze me that forum members post links to other sites for the same press releases that we have here (but, I can understand it if you didn't realize we had them).

So, when I notice it, sometimes I point out that we do have the same information (as I did in this thread).

I took a look at the specs on these two models when they were announced. The new CCD mechanism for combating camera shake caught my eye, since it appears to similar to Konica Minolta's anti-shake (which works quite well).

The problem is that you really can't tell how well a camera is going to perform from the "Marketing Hype". You also have to see what kind of a "slant" manufacturers took with their ratings.

For example, I see a reasonable flash range with these models for such small cameras. Well, how are they getting that range? It's probably an "Auto ISO" rating.

How much are they boosting the ISO (each time you double the ISO speed, your flash range increases by 1.4x)? Is the noise tolerable at higher ISO speeds (especially since it's a higher resoluton sensor)? If the noise is tolerable, is it because of noise reduction that's smoothing out detail along with noise as ISO speeds get higher?

Do you really want to use higher ISO speeds to get the range (with any corresponding negatives as a result)?

I don't know how they're doing it yet and what the image quality will be (and of course, the press releases are going to make them sound great). ;-)

So, I'd suggest waiting for reviews on any recently announced cameras (and it could take a while for them to get into the pipeline).

Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:43 AM   #48

Thanks for the info, Jim. I can't wait to see the reviews. The reason I am so excited is because it is an Optio, and that's the camera I've used for several years. The photos are amazing... the flash distance, as I said, is always better than anyone standing near me taking the same picture.

If this new one proves to be anywhere close to mine, I'll be happy. Just going from 5 MP to 8 should be awesome. I do hope that going DOWN from 5x zoom to the 3xwill not hurt me on those long shots across the stage. It's been said here that getting the 6, 7 or now 8MP camera will help as I can crop to achieve the zoom.

Thank you again.

May I make a suggestion? First of all, I believe I found your site in a forum over on dpreview. I think I even followed a link from there to here. that was a long, long time ago. I wish you would consider putting something about your other website at the top of the Forum front page... or even ALL of these forum pages. I can't be the only one who has posted links to other sites because I didn't know you had a similar one here. Thanks for you time and patience.

Angie

BTW, I know there is a LOGO up there, but I thought it was just that... a logo. I didn't know it was a link to another site!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:22 AM   #49
Administrator

angielittle wrote:
Quote:
Just going from 5 MP to 8 should be awesome. I do hope that going DOWN from 5x zoom to the 3xwill not hurt me on those long shots across the stage. It's been said here that getting the 6, 7 or now 8MP camera will help as I can crop to achieve the zoom.
More Megapixels does not necessarily equal better quality. Often, the opposite is true, since the photosites for each pixel are going to be smaller in order to fit more of them into a tiny sensor. This can impact both noise levels and dynamic range.

Smaller photosites can require more amplification of their signal for equivalent sensitivity to light, which can increase noise. That's another reason I'd wait on reviews to see how a model performs. It may have worse image quality compared to your 555, *because* it has more megapixels.

You have to take each model on a case by case basis. I've seen a number of cases where users "upgraded" their older cameras to a newer and higher resolution model, only to be unhappy with the results.

Now your 555 was not a particular good performer from a noise perspective as ISO speeds are increased, compared to similar models using a 5MP 1/1.8" CCD.

So, you might see an improvement in some areas with *some* newer sensors (if you avoid the ones smaller than in your 555). But, I wouldn't bet on it. The newer 8MP model could be worse (or have less detail because the noise reduction in the newer model is sacrificing detail in order to provide lower noise, which is often the case in some new cameras.

I would definitely avoid any model with a smaller sensor compared to your Optio 555. A higher resolution (6, 7, 8 Megapixels) model with a smaller sensor compared to your Optio is likely to have worse image quality in anything other than good light outdoors, and even then, the higher resoluton model is likely to have worse dynamic range (ability to capture both light and dark in the same image).

Unless you're printing at larger sizes, you don't need more megapixels.

Quote:
I do hope that going DOWN from 5x zoom to the 3xwill not hurt me on those long shots across the stage. It's been said here that getting the 6, 7 or now 8MP camera will help as I can crop to achieve the zoom.
Nope. You'll end up with less resolution than you've got now if you crop much at all. If you crop a photo to make it look like you've used twice as much optical zoom, you end up with only 1/4 (not 1/2) the original resolution. That's because like area, resolution in pixels is computed by multiplying width x height.

So, even a two megapixel model with a 200mm zoom lens, could provide just as much subject detail as an 8 Megapixel model with a 100mm zoom lens, if you cropped the image from the 8 Megapixel model to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom.

Also, the lens on your camera is going to be brighter at most focal lengths, compared to the models you've been looking at. As a result, your model is going to have superior flash range at most focal lengths, too.

Even though some of these models are about the same at their wide angle position and zoom position as your 555, the lens on your 555 is much longer than most.

So, you'll have more range with your Optio 555, than most other subcompact models will at their maximum zoom setting when your zoom is at an equivalent focal length (because when most are at their maximum zoom setting, yours is only in between it's widest and longest zoom position, where it will be brighter than most other subcompact models.

Your lens doesn't stop down to f/4.6 until 187mm. Most other subcompact models will be at about this same brightness level earlier in their focal range (with less brightness at their maximum zoom setting.

Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:36 AM   #50

Jim,

SOME of what you said in your last two posts was totally lost on me. My little ADHD brain wants to understand all of the technical stuff, but it misses some of it.

I do understand your explanation about the comparison of a camera like mine with a long lens vs. one with a shorter lens... brightness... etc.

Another thing I checked is the size of the sensor. The sensors are the exactly the same size in the Optio 555 and the new Optio A10... Sensor Size 1/1.8" on both cameras, so THAT is great news.

Aboutmost of the other issues, I just don't understand enough to follow your path and compare. I DO hope it will be the best choice,asit appears itworksa LOT like my Optio now. Add the fact that it is newer technology than my 555, andit is definitely within my price range, I amcrossing my fingers that it will be an improvementin all areas.

I hope you... or someone else will post back herewhen the reviews start coming out on the new A10. If it starts shipping in February, shouldn't we start seeing reviews already? You see, I really don't know how they do things with new cameras. I'd think that the reviewers have the camera way in advance of the date of release to the general public; am I wrong? Do they have to wait until they are officially available to anyone?

Okay, thanks... thanks. I'm excited!

Ang

Edit.//////////// If you say this isn't what you meant, I will give up.

High Image Quality With A Large CCD
The Optio A10 is equipped with a new large 1/1.8-inch CCD boasting 8.32 total megapixels. Featuring approximately 1.6 percent more light receiving area of conventional PENTAX compact camera CCDs, this CCD offers advantages in superior tone reproduction, texture delineation, and noise reduction.

JUST FOR THE RECORD... a comment was made along the way about it not being a big deal unless I am printing very large pictures. Actually, I am. Tomorrow I'll TRY to get it small enough for you to get an idea of what it is and put it here in this message. Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer just for that purpose. So far, the largest photo I've printedwas from the roll paper, as it was a collage-type poster. IT WAS SO COOL. More later... A.