Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:32 PM   #1

Hi, I hope this question hasn't been asked before, but after some searching I could not find it.

I would like to buy a DSLR (under $1000) that comes with software that will allow me to control the camera from the computer, and see the (RAW) photos as they are taken, with the computer being the shutter release.

The camera will be on a tripod taking pictures of small objects.

Thank you very much.
phonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:41 AM   #2

I used to do that at work with the Canon Digital Rebel. I'd imagine the Rebel XT can do it as well, and you should be able to get that with a regular lens, telephoto lens and a printer for under $1000 after rebates. I think the rebate offer is still going on. Definitely get the printer though, I found that if you take the printer off, you only save like $15.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:37 AM   #3

Was that with the "EOS Capture" program? How did you like it? Does anyone know of other DSLRs with similar software?
phonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:09 PM   #4

This is very interesting, as I am focused on moving into this area (computer controlled camera operation) sometime in the near future (hopefully) also. It is looking pretty positive that I may get the Canon EOS-5D , though it may not be for a few months yet, but I had also looked into ahardware component which would allow remote controlled operation. The hardware unit that I speak of is the WFT-E1A Wireless Transmitter, and (if memory serves me correct) it was selling for upwards of $1200. Reading the posts on this thread, however, I find that there is indeed a cheaper method by which to do, essentially, the same thing. One could not be as free-roaming as with the wireless transmitter, but if all that is desired is shots from a tripod-mounted camera, then the software alternative should more than serve the purpose - and be a lot cheaper, to boot.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:23 PM   #5

I haven't used it in a while, since we move the camera to a separate room it's become impractical, but it was pretty handy. I think EOS capture was the program, that definitely sounds familiar.

The reason I did it to begin with was that I was completely new to SLR cameras when we got the thing, and I didn't know any good way to control camera shake (I've learned since then). It was also a bit of a time saver because I didn't have to transfer all the images later, and since I was doing mostly web graphics, getting a preview on a computer screen was much nicer than using the LCD. It wasn't so good for high resolution images since the camera had a USB 1.0 connection and there was a long delay between photos, but I think the XT and 20D have high speed USB 2.0.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote