Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:21 PM   #1

Iam an intermediateamateur photographer, but I am wanting to become professional. At present, I want to purchase a digital camera that I can take action shots at barrel races and rodeos. The photographer must stand across the arena from the contestants so I need a zoom lens or a camera with optical zoom of at least 8X to 12X I think. I want to set up to takethe barrel racing pictures at the arenas and print on the location. I would also like advice on a quality printer that I could do this with. The pictures would need to be at least 8X10 and larger would be nice. Since these are fast action shots, the camera would have to take the picture instantaneously without a delay, with good resolution, and capturing the action (dirt flying, etc). I would also like to begin taking indoorand outdoor portraitsof my kids with the same camera and perhaps some portraits of friends and family.

Could someone help me with a good quality camera? What optical zoom and megapixels do I need? Would 5 megapixels be enough? My present camera is a 3.1 megapixel. Can a zoom lens be purchased to attach to the digital camera? I have never seen this on digitals...only on 35MM. What would be a good printer? I would like to purchase these items at as low a cost as possible. Are refurbished cameras and printers an option? I found an Epson Printer R300M. Would it do?

Thanks,
Texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:39 PM   #2

Instantaneous shots and interchangeable lenses are properties of DSLR cameras. Both the camera bodies and the lenses tend to be very expensive. However, if you are serious about pursuing a career in photography, a DSLR (IMHO) is a must.

Take a look at the following link to get an idea of what is out there.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Also check out the printer forums here at steves.

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:43 PM   #3

Texas Girl-

I am a professional, and I agree 100% with Rinnie. You are gpoing to need a dSLR with a minimum of 8mp, so you might want to save money, and look carefully in that direction right now. BTW dSLR camera prices are currently at an all time low.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:58 PM   #4

I think Canon still has their rebate offer going on. If so, you can get the Rebel XT with a wide angle lens, a telephoto lens, and a Canon printer for about $900 after rebates.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:30 PM   #5

there is a Canon rebate in Australia for about that amount; but it only lasts one more day (ends 31/12). Unsure about other countries.

for the purpose you are talking, you must buy a DSLR. no doubts about it.mainly for the sheer speed of performance.a stabilised lens would also be a good idea. maybe get the KM5 as it has in camera stabilisation. can be had for a great price too.
lord_ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:49 PM   #6

Can you tell me what BTW means?So I need a 8 mg minimum digital single lens reflex that I can attach a zoom lens to or whatever lens I need at the moment?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"TG
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:50 PM   #7

Can you tell me what IMHO stands for and can you recommend a camera?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:56 PM   #8

I can not find a Canon KM5. Can you give me a little more info please. Do you think the optical zoom with image stabilzation is ok.

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:57 PM   #9

Texas Girl-

BTW=by the way

IMHO=in my humble opinion

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:59 PM   #10

gotcha duh thanks