Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1

I currently own a Konica Dimage X31. It's a great little camera, no problems with it, and the size is not bad at all...

Problem though - it's horrible at night time shots... No matter what different modes I try, I can't get it to take a focused low light shot, unless I have a tripod, and set it for night shot mode (impossible to take held in your hand, as the shutter is open way too long)

Anyone have any suggestions for a suitable replacement...

Smallish (thin) size and low light / dark shots are the most important to me... I'd like to keep cost under or around $200 (new, or even lightly used would be fine)

I just gotta get something that takes better night pictures... this is killing me

Thanks in advance!!!
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:16 PM   #2

If by "low light" you mean without flash, your only real choices are the Fuji F10 and its slightly more sophisticated sibling, the F11. Neither is within your price range, but the F10 can be found for around $300.

If these cameras are not thin enough for you, you might investigate the Fuji Z1 and Z2. Price range is similar, and they are thinner, but they do not perform as well in low light.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

Actually, with a flash is fine... This darn X31 can't take a low light picture to save it's life... It just won't focus, no matter what in the dim light even with the flash...
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:53 PM   #4

If you want to take flash photos in low-light situations, you probably have more candidates to choose from than I first suggested. You'll probably need a camera with a focus assist lamp and with a powerful built-in flash. Since I generally avoid using flash, I can't make any suggestions.

Do be aware, though, that focus assist lamps can be very annoying, if you shine them in people's eyes. Also, don't expect even the best pocket camera's built-in flash to fully illuminate a very large room, much less a landscape or outdoor scene.

Good luck! I hope you get some useful suggestions.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:22 PM   #5

Have you looked at the Pentax S5 series, it might meet your size requirements and it has a good flash range.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote