Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1

Have read all the tests, which say these are about a toss-up, but would treasure your real-world user judgment. I'm after most speed I can get in smallest possible size, without sacrificing image quality.
TLB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:19 PM   #2

Don't know how you can say all the reviews say these four cameras are a toss-up. I have yet to see a professional review that attempted to compare the F10 with any of the other cams you mentioned...it would hardly be a fair comparison. The only comparison I've seen which is close is this one which compares noise levels between the Canon SD-500 (which is a 7 MP camera) with the F10. Here it is:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...zoom/page7.asp

Do you think these results are a toss-up? I don't.

The Fuji has 6.3 MP, the rest have 5 MP. The Fuji has ISO 1600 capability, the others have ISO 400 maximum. The Fuji has a larger sensor than the others. The F10 is a compact camera, the others are ultra compacts...therefore the Fuji is a little larger than the others.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

Many thanks for a very interesting comparison. I should have more more specific in my reference to speed: I should have said start-up times, shot-to-shot cycle times, shutter delay, continuous mode frame rates. That said, I value quality and find your comparison very useful.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:51 PM   #4

Speed between the four is close...however, I was reacting to the "without sacrificing image quality" part of your original post.

The Fuji is undoubtably the fastest when it comes to shutter lag...Fuji claims it to be 0.01 seconds, however, I don't think any of the reviewers have equipment sophisticated enough to measure something that fast. The Fuji is probably has the slowest shot to shot time when using flash, though. Maybe with the high ISO, you won't need to use the flash much.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:35 PM   #5

Many thanks, Hun. Only way I'm going to resolve is through actual use, and I'm going to start with the Fuji. Incidentally, I own the Fuji S5000, which has given a lot of pleasure and still does.