Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

I am going to buy a new camera & can buy the oly e-300 slr for a little less than the canon s2 is. Although the olympus is 8 mega pix the canon has a longer zoom. I am at odds as to which to buy.

Thanks for your help.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:34 AM   #2

Please tell me where you can buy the E-300 with a zoom for less than the S2 IS.

Thank you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:44 AM   #3

Local Sam's Club in Indianapolis had a closeout on Olympus E-300 for $475. so I bought one since they only had 3 of them left. I hope I made a good decision. I checked the review from here & went back there & bought next to the last one.

Steve..........Thanks for your site.
vette-freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:43 AM   #4

Wish I had known you were going...you could've picked one up for me (LOL). Seriously, that's a great price - what lens came with it?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5

I agree with Rinnie. Not only is the Olympus E-300 a great dSLR camera, but you got it at a great price as well. You probably got the Zukio 14-45mm lens with the camera. That will give you an effective ( in 35mm term) 28 to 90mm walk around lens. The lens is a very good lens, though it does not really have an effective macro or close up mode.

If I were you, and was looking to add a telephoto lens, I would look for the Zukio 40-150mm lens. That is the other lens in the two lens kit. It is a really excellent lens giving you a reach (in 35mm terms) of 80 to 300mm. Those lenses are plentiful and are often available on the auction sites for less than $(US) 150.00, making them a very good buy.

Those two lenses will just about cover all of your lens needs and you will have a great outfit. Here is an example photo done with the E-300.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6

If all you wanted was a snapshot camera then the Canon was a better choice... BUT... if you are the least bit interested in photography then you made the very best choice. What you have now is a very capable system DSLR camera, in many ways just as capable as a professional model. You have really hit upon a great deal there, have fun with it, and a happy new year.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote