Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:32 PM   #11

Hehe.. thanks rinniethehun. I might just do that. :-)
rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I guess I find it hard to believe that you can't buy a Japanese camera in the Philipines. I'm sorry, but I just can't recommend any of the cameras you're considering (somewhere, buried deeply beneath my barbarian exterior lies a truly sensitive, caring, honest individual...for a Hun).

What are your plans after graduation, Demi? Move to the States...get a good job...buy a top of the line DSLR...maybe continue your education?

Good luck.

the Hun
demiguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:34 PM   #12

What's your goal, demiguin? If you want an versatile camera that will help you take good pictures in many different environments, these cameras are not for you. Looking further at the bidshot site, I see digital cameras by Canon, Kodak and Olympus offered at comparable or lower asking prices. They may not be new, and I am usually wary about used digital cameras, but I think you are likely to get more service out of a used camera from a major manufacturer than you would from the off-brand cameras you listed.

However, if you enjoy the challenge of doing the most you can with very limited resources, you might like one of those cameras. There is a certain mystique about this sort of minimalist photography. You can check out the Tinycams site to see if you're interested:

http://www.geocities.com/charles_islas/

But please realize that these "cheap" cameras are demanding. You can take great pictures with them, but only as long as you are willing to do all the thinking. They won't make it easy for you. They won't let you get away with shooting in low light, or backlit situations, or anything other than optimal conditions. It's up to you to find the situations in which these cameras can take good pictures, and then limit yourself to taking those photographs.

I think you would enjoy a good all-purpose camera from a reputable manufacturer much more.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:13 AM   #13

Just what I needed to decide. Thanks Robb. :-)
Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:00 AM   #14

I would agree with Rob, a used known brand would be a much better risk, maybe something like a 3 megapixel sony V1 or Canon G1, keep your eye on the Sat "Manila Bulletin" and you should be able to pick something up for about P5000, good luck.

Regards from Queensland

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 8:56 AM   #15

Thanks guys for the tip. I ended up with the Excilline cam. It turned out to be a good buy. I'll post a review here someday. Thanks again. :-)