Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:49 PM   #11

FutbolMom-

Here are the promised sample photos. They were taken with my Fuji S-5200 + a slave flashthis afternoon at our local Rite Aid Pharmacy. As the sample photo indicates, the ISO was set to ISO 100, the camera was in the wide angle position, and the shot was handheld.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:52 PM   #12

FutbolMom-

Here is the second sample photo. Everything is exactly the same but the ISO was increased from ISO 100 to ISO 200. As you will notice there is overhead flourscent light, and hopefully this might sort of approximate your shooting conditions.

Hopefully these photos have helped and I will be happy to answer any other questions as well.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:07 PM   #13

Mt, I can't thank you enough for all of this. This is a great photo lesson for me.(I don't suppose you teach anywhere near Paso Robles, CA do you?) Now, regarding your external flash. I have never seen it on the side like that before. I have a "shoe?" on top of my s602...I'm guessing the term slave flash is the side mount? Also I have been going back over this post and re-reading everything to make sure it's all sinking in. Robbo had mentioned something about the Fuji 5200 being "unstabliized"...what exactly does that mean?

With all this said, what are your thoughts on the Canon Powershot G6 (7.1 MP, 4X optical) vs. Canon s2 with it's 5 MP and 12X optical. Optical zoom isn't the same as digital zoom is it?

Thanks again!!

Futbol mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:08 PM   #14

FutbolMom-

Yes, I teach digital cameras to almost 11,000 folks every year in workshops around the world. The side mount on a common accessory bracket is the best way to use slave flash because it tend to minimize red-eye problems.

Please keep in mind that there is NO wired connection between the camera and the slave flash. When the built-in flsh on the camera goes off, the photoelectric cell on the slave flash "sees" it and goes off as well. Because the speed of light is 192,000mph the relay is instant and there are no synchronizing problems.

IS, or "image stabilization is a feature found on Panasonic digital cameras, the Sony H-1, and the Canon S-2 IS, as well as a number of dSLR cameras. It is not a necessity, but it is a nice convenience.

The Canon G-6 is an excellent digital camera and it has received great reviews. However, it uses the older Digic I chip to asist focusing, and has just 4X optical zoom. In contrast, the Canon S-2 IS is not only IS equipped, but it uses the newer Digic II chip to speed up focusing and it has 12X optical zoom.

Please keep in mind however, that the max usable ISO on the Canon S-2 IS is only ISO 400, and you will see some noise when the S-2 IS is set to ISO 400. In contrast the Fuji S-5200 is not IS equipped, but it does have a maximum ISO setting of 1600 instead of the Canon S-2's max ISO of 400, thus giving it more flexibility.

In my samples, using that Bower Slave Flash, which is a clone,I believe, of the Sunpak DS-20, I was able to reach out quite nicely to around 50 feet when using an ISO setting of 200 on the Fuji S-5200.

MT
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:35 PM   #15

Thanks again Mt. I'm going to spend a couple of day's going over all the information you have given me. I appreciate the information on the two Canons, that really helps. I hate to do this to you, but now that I found someone with information and knowlege I'm not going to let you go. I will definitly be bugging you again! I want to see if Ican find a Fuji 5200 to look at and also have a look at the Pentx Ist DS. The problem with being in a small town is I have to drive 40 min. just to get to a camera store and with kids, that takes some planning.

I'll be in touch. :bye:

Futbol mom
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:29 PM   #16

Now you've all got me looking at the S5200 and S9000. How do these perform at higher iso without flash?

Thanks!
randyesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:07 PM   #17

Randye-

Here is a sample photo shot with a Fuji F-10 WITHOUT flash at ISO 1600. The S-5200 and S-9000 would produce approximately the same results.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2006, 7:56 PM   #18

Mt, just curious. Why would you use an ISO of 1600 in the morning outside? I would have shot an ISO of 200. Just want to see the thought pattern of a real photographer...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Futbol mom
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:28 PM   #19

FutbolMom-

I am sorry, but perhaps you missed something when looking at the F-10 sample photo taken at breakfast in Guilin. The photo was taken at ISO 1600 becuse it was an INSIDE photo, it was inside a large hotel dinning room without windows, not an outdoor photo, and all I had for light were incandescent light bulbs.

It make you respect the Fuji F-10 when you realize that the photo was done INSIDE a large dinning room, doesn't it?

MT
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:56 PM   #20

MTClimber, that dining room looks like an outdoor courtyard. Confused me at first, too, until I noticed the carpet.

Futbul mom, you said you want a camera you can use for a very long time. You can really grow into a dSLR over time, and it will probably hold its value better than a P&S.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote