Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:20 AM   #21

...that's kind of what I'm starting to see. I acutally went to the one and only camera store in our area and they didn't have the Fuji or the Pentax. I did however see the Canon Rebel XT and really liked it. I hate $$.

Oh, and Mt I totally thought that your breakfast picture was outdoors...whew! Thought I had a whole new set of rules to learn about ISO's.
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:23 PM   #22

I have a Canon digital G2. It takes great pictures but not of children. So I decided to dump my Canon T90 and all its accessories. Total of about $2500 invested and picked up the first issue of the Digital EOS Rebel. I just love this camera. However, I didn't order it with the stocked lens but bought a Canon 24mm x 85mm 1:3.5-4.5. I recently added a Canon 135mm 1:2.8. Am I satisfied? Let these pictures of a recent fire near my house speak for themselves.
Attached Images

Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:39 PM   #23

KM 7D - 50mm f1.7 - iso 400 - hand held - no flash - printable 8x10

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:05 PM   #24

Kanon and Bernabeu, those are some wonderful pictures. Kanon can I ask what you spent on your lens? Now that I'm researching this a bit more I'm beginning to see that the "stock" lens that comes with most cameras aren't very good. I don't understand all the "mm" numbers that pertain to certain lens. I was just getting ready to write another post in the lens section of the forum, but maybe you can help me out? Can you explain the mm numbers to me? All I know is that I need a low f stop to get good low-light/indoor pictures...Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also Bernabeu, what is a KM 7D???

Thanks,

Futbol mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #25

I've been reading this thread for a while, mtclimber havevery good suggestion :idea:
O ya, Futbol mom, KM 7D should be Konica Minolta 7D, but personally I would like to consider Konica Minolta 5D, look have similar feature but cheaper, smaller and lighter.
My suggestion for start you can buy the camera with lens kits 18 to 70mm. After you master the camera I think you will know which step of lens you need.
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:55 PM   #26

Sorry, that if I assume you will get Konica Minolta 5D :-)
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:02 PM   #27

Hey there futbol mom - I bought my EF 135 mm on line from Norman's Camera for $286. No tax or ship charges. I didn't get a deal on my EF 24mm - 85mm which cost $363 tax included at my local photo store. [would have bought the camera & lens elsewhere however no one else would take my T90 in trade] Now the mm refers to the focal length. However, when used on a digital camera the 135 becomes 216mm. [multipled by 1.6] The 2.8 refers to the aperture. So these to lenses gives me a coverage from 38mm to 136mm and 216mm.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:20 PM   #28

One advantage of getting a good camera with sufficient memory is that you can use a large format [you would want to have a large card too - at least 512mb] then when you zoom in an crop your picture it won't have that fuzzy blocked look. Here is an example of a hawk that I took with my 24mm - 84mm lense. I cropped in down quite a bit.
Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:36 PM   #29

Go to a dslr that offers lens however I would stay away from OLYMPUS as they do not care about you AFTER the buy,John R
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:24 PM   #30

There you go again John! We have to know why you dislike Olympus so much, and please be specific, please.

I own the Olympus E-300 and the E-500 and am a professional. I feel they are excellent cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote