Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:11 PM   #31

Hey Mt if your out there I have another question for you (or anyone else who may have some input would be appreciated also). We are heading out this weekend to hit some more camera stores to see if we can find the Fuji 5200 and the Pentax you recomended. I was wondering though what your thoughts were of the Rebel XT? I really liked that one when I tried it, but I'm wondering if it would be too much camera for me. Also, If your up for it, I could use a quick "lens" lesson. What mm range would I want so I can get the distant soccer shot but also get a closer pictures of the kids in karate. Say...25 - 30' feet? Again those pictures are in low-light.

Appreciate all your help.

Futbolmom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:57 PM   #32

If you buy a camera with a fixed lens they what you see is what you get. With a digital EOS you can change lenses as one could with a film SLR. The digital Rebel allows you to change the lens as desired. Here is some data on the Fuji 5200.

Attached Images

Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:07 PM   #33

Hi Kanon thank you for the info. Question though. They say when you use the zoom on the cameras with a fixed lens like Fuji, you end up losing data and the pictues have a tendance to get fuzzy. Does that happen when you use an attachable lens as well at full zoom?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:08 PM   #34

FutbolMom-

While I own a Canon 350D/XT because we conduct dSLR workshops, I, personally do NOT like the Rebel XT very much. My major complaints are:

1. The pinched grip is really bad.

2. The viewfinder is subpar. The Pentax, for example has a MUCH better viewfinder.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:42 PM   #35

:?I don't have the XT model for I purchased mine shortly after Canon introduced the Digital Rebel. The grip is very similar to the one I had on my T90. Why do you say that "the view finder is subpar?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:49 PM   #36

Kanon-

It very simple indeed. You see because I conduct dSLR workshops all over the world, I own the Canon 350D/XT, the Canon 20D, the Nikon D-50/D-70, the K-M 5D and the Pentax 1st DS/Pentax DL.

All you have to do is compare the viewfinders among the dSLR's that you own. The Canon 350D/XT IMHO comes in last.

Speaklightly
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:58 PM   #37

mtclimber, since you hv some many dSLR camera, do find any of the lens are exchangable? I mean such as 1 compatible len can fit to KM 5D or Nikon d50 or Pentax, so far I understand Canon only accept canon lens.
many thanks.
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:06 PM   #38

MT, you've bascally listed most of the cameras I want to look at. I just added the KM 5D because of one of these posts. My biggest thing right now is the lens issue and how easythe camera I choose is to use at first. I'm sure once I choose a camera and start using it all will be well. I just don't want to go into a store and hear how wonderful a camera is from someone who is basing his sales on commission. It's nice to hear all the pros and cons of each camera from people who have used them. Thank you for the input on the Rebel XT. Keep any and all information coming, my list is growing!:?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:22 PM   #39

:-)In today's world of high tech don't you think that one's decision to buy or like a particular brand of camera is similar to choosing a modern automible? Most of them are pretty damn good. I have beeb prone to the Canon brand for over 30 years. I use to driveFord products then Chrysler [LHS] and now I drive an Infinity G35. I guess its what ever turns you on. I may not conduct work shops all over the world but I have taken pictures all over the world. Does that count?:-D
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:23 PM   #40

armadilloshield-

Unfortunately, lenses are NOT interchangeable between different brands. They each have their own unique mount.

MT