Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:38 PM   #41

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield-

Unfortunately, lenses are NOT interchangeable between different brands. They each have their own unique mount.

MT
mtclimber, Thanks for the info.
Wow, I suppose you spend alot on the lenses :shock:
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:07 PM   #42

aramadilloshield-

When you do workshops, you HAVE to have the answer.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:01 PM   #43

Just to keep a bit of perspective to this discussion, I will post a sample photo from the Fuji S-5200. You might ask why I am doing that?

Well, I see a trend today that point to the dSLR camera as the answer to almost any photo problem. Yes, dSLR cameras are good and they can produce great photos. But the photos are the result of the photographer's skill and experience. The camera is only the means to allow the photographer to show is skill.

I have been photographing things for more than 50+ years. I can pick up just about any camera and deliver good photos. Please understand that I am not boasting at all. Instead I am attempting to show that great photos are the result of the photographer's skill and experience. It may indeed be no more than a matter of gaining more skill and experience, to get the photos that you desire, not a specific camera.That is why I always say :"get out there and start taking photos." That is how you are going to gain skill and experience.

So I did not mean to get long winded, please excuse me. Here is a photo sample from the Fuji S-5200, an excellent 10X digital camera, that costs LESS the $300 that also produces great photos.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:41 PM   #44

Just so you're aware of some basics of a DSLR before you drop a couple thousand or more on it... if someone's mentioned these before and I missed them, my apologies. And so you don't think I'm a basher of DSLR, I have a Digital Rebel and love it.

You don't get a "live preview" on a DSLR - the light is directed to the optical viewfinder. Some people really freak out about this, but pictures do tend to turn out better when stabilized against your face anyway.

You don't get any movie modes on a DSLR. If you're wanting to get some occasional video of the basketball game, you'd need a video camera if you want a DSLR.

The back screen on a DSLR on just about all of them right now aren't really intended formore than quick review. The 3" screens coming out now on P/S cameras haven't found their way onto DSLRs.

DSLRs are far bulkier than P/S cameras. If you have an issue carrying around a few lbs of weight and a separate camera bag, P/S might be for you. A camera you don't take with you won't take good pictures

On a more psychological note, I find that DSLRs make me aware of what my hardware limitations are. However, unlinke P/S, there's a route to overcome these, at a cost. You can dump a lot of money into researching the possibilities and outfitting your system. I find I have to set limits for myself.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
sjburges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:10 PM   #45

FM, I am working up to purchase a Konica-Minolta 5d, (actually, I may yet decide to go with a 7d) and have already started buying lenses. Both the 5d and 7d use standard Maxxum lenses which are plentiful and inexpensiveat your local camera shop or Ebay. I'm not sure about the other brands' (Canon, Pentax, Nikon...) lenses, perhaps someone else here can elaborate on their availability.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:21 AM   #46

Perfect timing for your post. Today I decided to stop by our local Staples andchecked outthe camera section. I was looking at the Sony H1 and the Canon S2. I really liked them both and was very supprised. Now I'm thinking of just a good p/s with a higher optical zoom. I still want to find the Fuji, but that's the draw of a small town. Thank you yet again for your input.
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:09 AM   #47

My sonjust got the Sony H-1 and I had a play with it for a couple of days and wasvery impressed, I would think if you go back to MTs post where he explains using a flash bracket with slave flash that this would be a good solution for you.

Took a couple of low light shots at ISO 200-400 and they cleaned up beautifully in PP using"Noise Ninja".

my 2 cents

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:34 AM   #48

FutbolMom-

Thanks for your post. Like Wirraway said in his post, I also believe that a p/s ultrazoom would more than adequately meet your needs. The important issue is to get out there taking photos so that you develop your experience and photo skills.

Both the Canon S-2 IS and the Sony H-1 have received good reviews and use AA sized batteries. Fom my point of view, the purple fringing and the added expense of the Memory Sticks work against the H-1. The S-2 is only fractionally better, but, at least for me, the LACK of purple fringing and the use of SD chips/cards tip the balance in favor of the S-2.

The Fuji S-5200 will save you $100 in price, but you will not has Image Stabilization, and you will have to contend with XD card/chips, as well as 10X optical zoom instead of 12X optical zoom.

Any of these three cameras will serve you well, and will produce the photos that you desire providing that you add a simple accessory flash bracket and a slave flash for around $50, thus providing the flash range that you will need for your desired photos.

MT
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:19 PM   #49

I was actually leaning toward the S2, my only concern was that it only goes to an ISO of 400. But, if I get the slave flash I shouldn't really have any issues right? We just got back from my sons first basketball game. I took my S602 and a Canon A520. Every single picture from the Fuji was blurry. The Canon ones are beautiful. I get awesome shot outside with my Fuji but that's about it.

Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:21 PM   #50

Hi Wirraway. Quick question. You said that your pictures cleaned up nicely in PP using "noise ninja"...I don't know what that is. Can you please explain.

Thank you.