Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 7, 2006, 3:27 PM   #51

FutbolMom-

The problem the Fuji S-602 was having was flash range I would guess. That is why adding the slave flash is so very important. It gets the light out there, muchfurther, where you need it.

The Canon S-2 IS would be a good choice, but because of the lower ISO choice (ISO 400 will produce too much noise) you will be using ISO 200, so the slave flash is really needed, and will be essential to the photos that you desire.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:12 AM   #52

FutbolMom-

Just a quick note. I am off this morning, once again, to conduct a digital camera workshop. So please don't think I am ignoring you Mom. I will be back on 1/16.

I have also arranged to barrow a Canon S-2 late next week so that I can provide you with some sample photos.

MT

Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:09 PM   #53

Thanks MT for the info. Well, I went and looked at a few cameras last weekend and learned a lot. As much as I liked the continuous mode one the Canon EOS it was just too big for my hands, as was the Nikon (If the Canon fit better in my hands, I would have hocked my house for that continuous mode!!). Anyway, I did like the Rebel XT, although I didn't realize that the IS was actually in the len's and not the actual camera...I found that pretty interesting. I also wanted to try the Pentax Ist DS, but they didn't have that one in stock, so the guy there will call me next week when it comes in and Ican try it. I did try the Canon S2, but I just didn't like the low-light pictures I was getting in the store. I do remeber that you said I would need a slave flash if I went that route. This particular sales guy was pretty pushy, and kept trying to push any and every accessory on me and I was starting to get pretty anoyed. So as I have left it, I just purchased a Bower SF328AZ digital slave flash w/bracket on e-bay for $49. I am going to try it with my S602 and my Canon A520 and see what happens with that. Then I will probably go back to the store and try it with the Rebel and the Pentax. When you get in if you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts on an IS system in the lens vs. in the camera I would appreciate it. Hope you had a good trip.

Regards!

Futbolmom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:40 PM   #54

currently, only the KM DSLR's have anti shake in camera. The Nikon and Canon cameras have IS in lenses. The advantage to in camera is cost. IS (VR in nikon terms) lenses are very expensive, whereas every lens has IS in the KM camera's. This cost savings is significant. I don't know that one system is better than the other.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:43 PM   #55

FutbolMom-

The slave flash will work perfectly with the Fuji S-602 and the Canon A-510/A-520 cameras. Just remember that the on-camera flash on each of those cameras will act as the "trigger" to set off the slave flash. So, just use BOTH flashes.

I think that you will be really amazed with the results of using the slave flash. I will finished with this worshop and be home again by 01/17.

IS is a veryeffective tool and can give you a very measurable advantage when taking photos. You will be able to see the difference in photos. So take some sample photos with the S-602 and the A-510 and see what a slave flash can do for you.

While you are doing that, I will head for home and will get a Canon S-2 in my hands so I can feed you some good example photos. Here is a sample photo of Lindberg's original planein whichhe crossed the Atlantic Ocean. It was taken with a Kodak V-530 $200 camera. That tells you where I am doing the workshop.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:03 AM   #56

Hi mtclimber,

Since you mentioned about the slave flash may i know which of the following3 best suit with canon S2 IS ?

1. DigiSlave 2000, 3000, Pro

2. Phoenix D91-BZS, B92-DZS
3. Vivitar DF200

I plan on getting S2full set:
1. Canon S2 IS
2.1GB SD card
3. Lensmate adpater, UV filter, PCL filter
4. Lowepro Nova 2 (Don't know will it fit the Slave flash as well or not)
5.Slave Flash (TBD.)

This cost whooping as much as a entry dSLR... but if you get a full set of dSLR... lets not go there... hehe

Thanks.
silverxme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:06 PM   #57

silverxme-

It is the follow-on lenses with a dSLR that make the expenses zoom. Of the slave flashes you have listed, I have personal experience with the Digiflash and the Vivitar. The Digiflash did not work well for me at all.

The Vivitar worked well but it is quite large. I found the Bower on e-bay at $49 and it is just as powerful as the Vivitar and a good deal smaller.

MT
Attached Images